No announcement yet.

$5 million in the bank -- rich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I see that he's spending down the nest egg (or bought an annuity or whatever). Got it.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

DS & KH: Your making the question a lot more complicated then it is, trying to explain how you got the 5mil and at what age and with what liabilities. The question as stated is just money in the bank for all we care someone won the lottery. As that more money then a 'middleclass' person will ever make let alone accumulate over an entire lifetime it is indeed rich by the standard of being able to live a very comfortable life without working. It doesn't make you 'Wealthy' in the Aristocratic sense of being able to endow your progeny in near perpetuity with similar levels of comfort. I think lots of people (rich people) confuse rich and wealthy and when they say large sums of money don't make you rich they really mean they don't make you wealthy. Chris Rock puts it very well "Shaq is Rich, the white guy who signs his paycheck is Wealthy!".
      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG] View Post
        DS & KH: Your making the question a lot more complicated then it is, trying to explain how you got the 5mil and at what age and with what liabilities
        No, I'm bringing up the details of how it was acquired from another thread where Dan posted them.

Please take this as an invitation to mind your own business.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

5 million is rich. Jon Miller lives in fairy tale world if he thinks differently.

I don't think it's feasible to accumulate that much over 40 years. I think DanS's assumption that you would start socking away 31k a year is ludicrous. I put away 12% of my salary. When there's plenty of work, that comes out to about $80 a week. Right now it's less than $50.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            No, I'm bringing up the details of how it was acquired from another thread where Dan posted them.

Please take this as an invitation to mind your own business.

You're simply incapable of being nice to anyone who's not kissing your ass, aren't you
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

lol i dont even need to read the thrade to know p much every posters viewpoint, the sheer amount of ego, and the strawmen being placed across the board on this one.

Good ol' Poly
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                BTW, your kids won't get any government help going to school.

If you want them to go to college/etc, I hope you are putting away at least 4k a year to pay college bills. This is probably not enough, btw.

JM
                Or the could move to Quebec .

Actually, I was making more then I spent as an undergrad in Georgia too between scholarships and being a TA.
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                  5 million is rich. Jon Miller lives in fairy tale world if he thinks differently.

I don't think it's feasible to accumulate that much over 40 years. I think DanS's assumption that you would start socking away 31k a year is ludicrous. I put away 12% of my salary. When there's plenty of work, that comes out to about $80 a week. Right now it's less than $50.
                  You may not make $60,000 a year, but lots of folks who have undergrad degrees do. And many of them are married or will become married.

Does your employer have a match?
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                    You're simply incapable of being nice to anyone who's not kissing your ass, aren't you
                    Actually, I'm quite capable of it. I'm fairly incapable of being nice to people who annoy me with ignorance. And sometimes I'm just mean because it makes me feel good to beat up on defenseless people (i.e. 99% of the general public or 90% of Poly)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's too bad you'll never earn my respect, snoopy.

Those here who have it get to see my nice side.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Snoopy, he's way out of your league.

Exhibit A: He got into a fistfight with himself.

Comment

Well, maybe I shouldn't have talked back to me.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                            You may not make $60,000 a year, but lots of folks who have undergrad degrees do. And many of them are married or will become married.

Does your employer have a match?
                            We used to get 3%, but I haven't seen that come in since last August.

Times are tough in construction. It's part of the cycle.

By the way, "In 2007, the median annual household income rose 1.3% to $50,233.00 according to the Census Bureau." (wikipedia)

So yeah, you're right that some individual people make 60k, but most households don't.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

That's still higher than I thought it would be, if that's a median.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, I remembered numbers of 40k...

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X