No announcement yet.

$5 million in the bank -- rich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not living like a monk. See the other thread. Of course, this isn't living in NYC or DC. We're talking flyover country.
    Last edited by DanS; March 31, 2009, 11:49.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Dude, you just gave them 2000$ a month for 4 kids on everything ex rent.

As a graduate student I clear 1700$ a month post taxes.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Is that $1,700 after rent? You would have to consider your wife's income.

I also put them in a 4,000 square foot home. That's not living like a monk.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

2 people working two different jobs with 4 kids. Who takes care of the kids, by the way? Or do they now have 4 kids who are all school aged by the time they're 28-29?

And they need two cars and gas for both to live in flyover country. If they're willing to live with cars for 10 years at a time that's still 400$ a month in car payments, 100$ a month in insurance, 150$ a month in gas. So now you're down to 1350 a month to feed, clothe and entertain your family. That's 7$ a day per person for that. Want cable? Now you're left with 6.50 a head a day.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            Who takes care of the kids, by the way?
            She works nights. He works days. When there is some overlap, the grandparents take care of the kids.

Comment

And yeah, I don't pay the rent. My wife does. She also pays the cable and electric. I pay gym, car payments, insurance. We split gas, food and luxuries.

We don't live like monks. But the people in your example do. I also have no clue why you would put them in 4000 sq. ft. Another unrealistic assumption from somebody who's apparently having difficulty putting out reasonable numbers. Monks in a giant house.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                She works nights. He works days. When there is some overlap, the grandparents take care of the kids.
                So now they don't even get to see each other?

OMFG. These people have the ****tiest lives I've ever heard of. They need to:

a) Stop saving so much
                b) Invent a time machine and give him a vasectomy 5 years ago
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How would they find time to make 3 of the kids?

Your idea is pure dreamland.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Comment

So she never sleeps, basically?
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

My fiancée and I live comfortably on just slightly over half that $120k right now, while she's in school. No kids, of course, and nothing significant in 401k or IRA. Plenty of school loans for me, etc. Move that up to $120k, and you'd basically put $30k to the 401k and $30k to kids plus the increased taxes. We're living in Chicago, so not cheaply. I imagine if we moved to 'flyover country' (wth is that? country so boring you would only see it by flying over it?), even moving to a house with, say, 3 bedrooms, that we'd pay about the same or only slightly more in rent/mortgage (based on what my parents paid when I was a kid). Assume $10k or so of the increase goes to taxes, right? So $20k goes to pay for the car (say, $5k) and $15k for the kids (so, $4k or so per kid per year), plus any savings we get from cheaper food/necessities [a lot... it costs several hundred a month just to pay for food for the two of us, not cooking every single night, for heaven's sake; that's more than my mom paid for a family of 5].

So ... I could see it, certainly. And we definitely don't live like monks - regularly eat out, both for lunch (nearly every day) and for dinner (a few times a week, sometimes nice places like sushi). I think Dan's estimate is a bit unrealistic, but only because people making $120k will have a hard time putting away 1/4 of it, because they COULD spend it on something. That's the unrealistic element of it
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

4k for kids?

ACK!

Comment

Plus the savings from leaving Chicago, silly.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Snoopy, your numbers are just about as retarded as Dan's.

You're a couple existing on 60k and you think it's reasonable for 6 people to live on 90k with the same lifestyle? I'm also interested to hear from you how much you pay in student loans a month. Because the people in Dan's example were paying 2k a month.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You are missing the salary decrease for leaving Chicago.

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                                X