The Root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Root

(nothing to do with 'rooting' all you aussies ...)

Just wanted to blather on about what I think is at the root of the troubles affecting our society these days.

I start off by ruling some stuff out:

1. Outer Party Politics: By which I mean, the elections and politicians we see on TV and the news, as well as the departments and agencies. While there are obvious problems, the political beast is not a foreign entity; it springs from us.

2. Inner Party Politics: By which is meant, the maneuverings and factionalism which go on beneath the surface. The competing 'conspiracies' and manipulations. The Boogeyman. Well, it ain't it. Puppetmasters need puppets, and Boogeymen can only really control the world to the extent that we in the mass allow them.

3. Our Economic System: I think that, just as people tend to get the political culture they deserve, we also create our economic system.

4. Racism: The 'malaise' of these days affects everyone. I have yet to see any evidence of white racial superiority or any other races superiority. Everyone seems to be getting ****ed up pretty much the same.

So the Root of our problems is 'us', the people, specifically our Culture and Mass Psyche. We can't blame the manipulators, because snake oil requires both a buyer and a seller, and when it comes to human civilization the onus is on the buyer.

I'd break it down like this:

1. Ignorance, particularly willful 'fingers-in-the-ears' ignorance.

2. Apathy.

3. Selfishness.

4. Hedonism.

5. Fear of seriously entertaining the opinions of others.

6. Arrogance.

7. Tremendous lack of respect for everything.

I'd trace some of this in our modern global culture to:

1. The end of Shame and Guilt as a major cultural and psychological force.

2. The lack of Taboos and any serious sense of Dignity or unviolable sacred spaces.

Any thoughts? Solutions? Mad dances with the Great God Pan under a Horned Moon?
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

How exactly will reverting to paganism solve the problem of ignorance and hedonism?
    My only answer is education, education, education, crammed down people's throats if necessary all over the world.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I blame the gays... And Canadians. That pretty much makes Asher the anti-Christ.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's because people aren't wearing enough hats.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have:
          -A Red Army fur cap
          -a Tilly hat
          -a Panama hat
          -a leather cap like what Robert deNiro wore in Ronin
          -a battered old sex tourist straw hat
          -a pirate hat with skull and crossbones.

I'm doing my part, step up you punks!!
          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I suffer from 2) and 4) (with a touch of 6).

Apathy - I don't like mankind's long term prospects and see little incentive in working against what is inevitable.

Hedonism - I'm only here for a short time. Let me enjoy it.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Except for ignorance, everything you've cited can be subsumed under one general problem: narcissism. And one can argue that narcissism even reinforces (and might create) ignorance, by creating a disdain for things that one doesn't already know.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                  4. Racism: The 'malaise' of these days affects everyone. I have yet to see any evidence of white racial superiority or any other races superiority. Everyone seems to be getting ****ed up pretty much the same.
                  While true, there are still enough racist people in positions of power to still make it harder for non-whites around the globe to 'get ahead'.

1. The end of Shame and Guilt as a major cultural and psychological force.

2. The lack of Taboos and any serious sense of Dignity or unviolable sacred spaces.

You live in Korea and you can say this? Them asians have plenty of the above still and are as ****ed in the head as anyone else.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

It is true that the culture of shame lives on in Asia, but I think you should not discount the freaking MASSIVE social and cultural changes going on in todays Asia. They're just a little ?behind? us.

The 70s and 80s generation was still pretty traditional, but the next batch.....it's interesting to see old teachers used to the old 'do not step in the shadow of a superior person' attitude running headlong into the modern youth.

They are not quite like extras escaped from the set of 'Kids' like I remember my youth, but they are changing...

EDIT: Also, I'd dispute that they are just as ****ed in the head. They are ****ed, but in a different way. And it gives life here some unique advantages. It is trite of course, but after six years I am only just beginning to appreciate what occidental civilization can learn from the east. The negatives are easy to see, but there are many profound positives that creep up on you too. Like the notion that the nation is a 'family'. Like self-discipline. I don't know, maybe what we need in the west is to learn to have Jeong (http://www.prcp.org/publications/sig.pdf) and Kyong? Of course, I've been repeatedly assured that barbarians can never actually have 'jeong'. I'm also trying to raise my Inscrutability. Am I Inscrutable yet?
                    Last edited by Seeker; March 29, 2009, 11:26.

Comment

Hmm, the thread's loaded with atheists talking about what makes the world a terrible place to live in, and nobody's mentioned religion yet. Should I be relieved, or insulted?
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                        I'd break it down like this:

1. Ignorance, particularly willful 'fingers-in-the-ears' ignorance.

2. Apathy.

3. Selfishness.

4. Hedonism.

5. Fear of seriously entertaining the opinions of others.

6. Arrogance.

7. Tremendous lack of respect for everything.
                        That's the poly OT as we know it.
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          Hmm, the thread's loaded with atheists talking about what makes the world a terrible place to live in, and nobody's mentioned religion yet. Should I be relieved, or insulted?
                          I've mentioned education. Educated people are generally less religious, which is good.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Nice try, but you dropped the ball, admit it.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              It's just so obvious we didn't feel the need to mention it.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X