$1.75 trillion federal budget deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS View Post
    And only slightly smaller deficits for years to come.

Commence indigestion. We're going to be paying this off for generations.

God, we need some bankers to hang.
    So you would rather have a depression rather than a recession in the interest of not spending anymore money.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

True. We're still paying off Reagan's deficits and of course Bush's deficits.

Obama's deficits do have an upside potential. The bail out monies going to GM and Chrysler were loans. IF they survive, we can make money on the deal. Similarly, in exchange for the bail out monies going to CitiGroup, we took back equity. We now own 40% of CitiGroup. IF it goes up in value, we can sell and make a profit.

Some of our bailed-out companies will fail, sure, and that money will be down the drain. But some companies will succeed, and we'll make money off their success.

Comment

IF they survive

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
          I've read that mathematicians do not even use the term trillion!

I know. What's with this 1x10^12 stuff anyway?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

I know. What's with this 1x10^12 stuff anyway?
            If I were a betting man, I'd bet Chrysler is going to fail, CitiGroup will survive.

[I just checked InTrade.com, but it doesn't have this type question.]

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
              We're still paying off Reagan's deficits and of course Bush's deficits.
              No we aren't.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

GM: $5.3 Billion burn rate per quarter?!!

Are we really going to bail them out>?!
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  No we aren't.
                  Are too, too, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                    Are too, too, too.
                    The debt is not meant to be paid off. It's meant to be continuous.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      So you would rather have a depression rather than a recession in the interest of not spending anymore money.
                      What proof/reasoning do you offer that all this spending will prevent a depression, or that one will happen if we don't spend?

So far, all I've heard is Obama's fear mongering about things getting worse.
                      Similar to what the REPUG are always accused of when talking about the war on terror.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It appears very few people on Poly actually know what DanS's politics are. He's always seemed like a sensible fiscal conservative to me.

Comment

To address the topic of the thread, my spirit has been completely broken by the ever increasing deficit. Obama complained about the failed economic policies of Bush, but then proceeded to add more long-term debt obligations in a month than Bush managed in 8 years. I've just accepted that the Baby Boomers are going to do everything possible to **** up the country while they're in power and there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop it. The real question for me is whether I want to stick around and try to fix the country or just bolt to sweet, low-tax Ireland...

Comment

You have way more faith in the American political system than I.
                            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              What proof/reasoning do you offer that all this spending will prevent a depression, or that one will happen if we don't spend?
                              1929, 1930, 1931 & 1932.
                              Plus, projections from lots of economists.

Similar to what the REPUG are always accused of when talking about the war on terror.
                              His focus on how bad things were was during the lead up to the stimulous package. If you watched him Tuesday, he briefly acknowledge our economic problems, but then laid out an optomistic plan on how we're going to get out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post

I don't have proof myself. But what proof do you have that "doing nothing" or "tax cuts without additional spending" is the best route?
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X