No announcement yet.

The Washington Post hurts my brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we don't follow the rule of law, than many innocent people can be punished/stored indefinitely/etc. These numbers have traditionally been in the thousands or hundreds of thousands or more.

There is a reason why rule of law should be one of the highest priorities. The cost is way too high to ignore it.

If it is in reference to 'this isn't the first time such has happend' I would point to any group of resistance fighters. Many of them in the past would kill civilians (collaborators/etc) just as these do. I really don't see what is special about them, other than that they did it to us (for the first time, really, since the american indians did it in the 19th century).

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
      Kuci,

We do things (or allow things to be done) all the time that we think are morally correct in spite of being dangerous. How does this differ?
      How do we decide what's morally correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
        Really? There have been previous cases where we've held 'foreign combatants' and it's been (arguably) in doubt whether or not they're actually combatants, and that we've done so during a 'war' against an enemy with no nation, one where we can never sign a treaty to end the war and return the prisoners?
        Maybe not all together, for the US. But seperately? Yes. And probably all together for other nations.

I mean, look at the Kurds in Turkey/Iraq (pre 2000)/etc.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          If we don't follow the rule of law, than many innocent people can be punished/stored indefinitely/etc. These numbers have traditionally been in the thousands or hundreds of thousands or more.

There is a reason why rule of law should be one of the highest priorities. The cost is way too high to ignore it.
          Yadda yadda yadda THERE IS NO LAW.

Morever, rule of law is important because it helps prevent a government from oppressing its citizens. I am substantially less worried about our government oppressing other countries' citizens. (Rightly! Think about why it's bad for the government to ignore rule of law.)

If it is in reference to 'this isn't the first time such has happend' I would point to any group of resistance fighters. Many of them in the past would kill civilians (collaborators/etc) just as these do. I really don't see what is special about them, other than that they did it to us (for the first time, really, since the american indians did it in the 19th century).
          I'm not an expert on international law, but I offer up the fact that the courts are setting precedents as evidence that there isn't really settled law in this situation. Your argument is one of several that the courts are given to consider.

Comment

Maybe not all together, for the US. But seperately? Yes. And probably all together for other nations.

I mean, look at the Kurds in Turkey/Iraq (pre 2000)/etc.

JM
            And how was international law involved with any of those, wrt how long you can hold prisoners? Were any precedents set?

Comment

If this was settled law it wouldn't be so legally contentious.

Comment

I agree that it is much more important for the government to pay attention to rule of law towards it's own citizens than those of foreign countries. Howver, any break of rule of law weakens the rule of law that serves as a protection of it's own citizens.

During the whole GB stuff is when we had US citizens held without trial or due process for years. It is when we had a huge erosion in our rights (wire taping/etc). There is a link here. If the government is ignoring some of it's rule of law, it will ignore other bits as well. And treaties we sign are the law of the land (according to our constitution).

Additionally, it becomes important when we are no longer the biggest threat on the block. Right now it mostly doesn't matter, because other countries had better respect our citizens rights. But in the future, if we become a weak nation, it will be very important for others to respect our rights just as we respect theirs.

Also, I do hold to enlightenment thinking. I think that some things should be done because they are right, not just because they are utilitarian.

The argument is that the courts are setting precedents. I think it has already been set, obviously.

And my problem isn't that GB was holding people forever. My problem is that they took people on accusation, and kept them there whether they knew the truth of AQ involvement or not. I am completely fine with holding people indefinitely (if no deal has been struck) if AQ involvement is proven. But it needs to be proven. Another problem with GB is that they didn't treat them properly. If they are going to be held indefinitely for being the enemy, than they should be treated as POWs. If they are being treated as criminals, then they should have the same rights as criminals, which includes going free if they aren't proven guilty.

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

So, I'm not trying to defend anything the Bush admin is done. Everything I'm saying here just leads back to the point that we need to think a lot harder before we release the rest of the people in Gitmo.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                    You get a cookie.
                    I'll have Amos Famous Cookies - love those. Bring them when we get together in March.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I agree that it is much more important for the government to pay attention to rule of law towards it's own citizens than those of foreign countries. Howver, any break of rule of law weakens the rule of law that serves as a protection of it's own citizens.

During the whole GB stuff is when we had US citizens held without trial or due process for years. It is when we had a huge erosion in our rights (wire taping/etc). There is a link here. If the government is ignoring some of it's rule of law, it will ignore other bits as well. And treaties we sign are the law of the land (according to our constitution).

Additionally, it becomes important when we are no longer the biggest threat on the block. Right now it mostly doesn't matter, because other countries had better respect our citizens rights. But in the future, if we become a weak nation, it will be very important for others to respect our rights just as we respect theirs.

Also, I do hold to enlightenment thinking. I think that some things should be done because they are right, not just because they are utilitarian.

The argument is that the courts are setting precedents. I think it has already been set, obviously.

And my problem isn't that GB was holding people forever. My problem is that they took people on accusation, and kept them there whether they knew the truth of AQ involvement or not. I am completely fine with holding people indefinitely (if no deal has been struck) if AQ involvement is proven. But it needs to be proven. Another problem with GB is that they didn't treat them properly. If they are going to be held indefinitely for being the enemy, than they should be treated as POWs. If they are being treated as criminals, then they should have the same rights as criminals, which includes going free if they aren't proven guilty.

Jon Miller
                      *its.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Thank you, that was bothering me too.

Comment

POWs in previous wars had to be enemy combatants, and their holders had to prove they were. Mostly it wasn't hard. They were captured on the battlefield in military gear with a military ID. Several contries that had insurgencies chose to interpret the other side as traitors not POWs. The situation in which a nation is so rich and pwerful as to be able to remove these "traitors" and mercenaries from the battlefield and hold them on its own soil is rare. Nonetheless, if men are to be governed by the rule of law, such individuals deserve a trial to establish guilt or innocense. Note that jurisdiction belongs to the country in which they were captured.

As to Kuci's point, if it follows logically that they are now too dangerous to let go then we should keep them. With a few exceptions, we have no way to know which are and which aren't that dangerous, irrespective of how they react to the amount of time locked up. The Post was so locked into gasping that the reactionaries may be right aspect of that article that they didn't follow the reactionary line to its conclusion that we should keep them all just to be safe, even though the US has no right at all to hold other people's citizens unless they comitted crimes against us.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The Post was so locked into gasping that the reactionaries may be right aspect of that article that they didn't follow the reactionary line to its conclusion that we should keep them all just to be safe, even though the US has no right at all to hold other people's citizens unless they comitted crimes against us.

Strawmen

Comment

It's actually an entirely valid argument, and the crux of the issue ... therefore sort of the opposite of a strawman.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                                It's actually an entirely valid argument, and the crux of the issue ... therefore sort of the opposite of a strawman.
                                Do you even know what a strawman is? It's the fallacy of putting up a false opponent so you can debunk it, all while ignoring the real arguments of your opponent.

However, it's also plausible that y'all just can't read. Especially you, given that you're usually a massive tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X