No announcement yet.

Crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does he try to pick up women in writing groups?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The "Left Behind" series represents a classic case of bad writing constructed with good sentences. Some of the acts by the characters that occur are so beyond credibility that no one in our world would believe a word of it. Others are so blatantly off-key that even people who don't watch the news regularly would sit up with great concern. However, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph, the books are well constructed and follow a coherent time line. With just a bit of thinking these books could have gone from silly to quite scary.

At the other end of that same genre are the screeds put out by the folks to the right of the skinheads. Such material is incomprehensibe, leaves you with the sense of being slimed by a nasty wave, and are almost solely aimed at sexual responses of the white men offing black men.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        Does he try to pick up women in writing groups?
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Anything on deviantart
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
            Do you need more submissions? I've got a friend who is an aspiring writer, he could probably get you something.
            Would love to have it, but it's restricted to students at the university.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
              Was it a post-apocolyptic world without bears?

As a matter of fact it was not but instead this very world which we currently inhabit.

Considering the overwhelming cry for the knowledge related to the doing of the deed in question I'm at liberty to share the following which is in fact the whole story but I added that bit for drama.

My buddy Dutch was an Oregon deep forest firewatcher at one time in his life. These solitary guys live in fire watchtowers on hills far from civilization. Now the upper part of the tower is an open platform with a flying roof built for observation. The lower part is a room which contains the supplies brought out occasionally by the forest rangers. The two are connected by a stair that wraps the framework of the tower.

So to Dutch's consternation a bear broke in and swiped some of his supplies and tore up the place. In spite of his best daytime efforts at sealing up the place each time this repeatedly happened. A great black bear is a determined foe indeed and would break in again during the night. So Dutch labored a great rock up the stairs, heaving and pulling and pushing and dragging. A lone figure in the great Oregon forest engaged in a contest from which only one could emerge in victory, the great bear who ruled his kingdom with might and knew naught but that this odd building full of tasty surprises was set upon his territory, and the grizzled veteran fire watcher of the forest using his mind to defend his sustanance. Dutch was concerned that the rock would roll back upon him and leave him crushed and dieing alone where none could hear his cries but that villian, the bear. Once the rock was finally in position high over the door which the bear would repeatedly break open Dutch put a little effort into doing enough repairs to delay the bear where the bear needed to be for the moments required. The rock was then set to balance, the trap set. Night fell, eventually the bear wandered up. This night Dutch watched both for fires and for his foe. Seeing the bear he waited unobserved until the bear was involved in the defenses of the door then, when the moment was upon him Dutch overbalanced the rock and sent it silently plunging through the night air from the height of the tower.

The next day Dutch ate bear meat.
              Last edited by Lancer; February 20, 2009, 20:52.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
              X