Crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crap!

So I'm one of the editors for the fiction section of a literary magazine. Anyway, we only get four measly submissions this year. #1 is a juvenile piece of garbage that the author is trying to pass of as a parody. Ugh, he even spends an entire paragraph defending it within the story. Despite my objections, which were as dimplomatic as could be , it's being accepted so long as the author talks with another editor about fixing it. Depending on what the final version is, I may threaten to remove my name from the whole deal. #2 is a poem. We have a poetry section, why it was submitted here, I don't know. #3, oh how I trashed this. Turns out it was submitted to our group by mistake, should have been nonfiction. I think I know who wrote it too. It's very "her" style: good writing, bad ideas.

Anyway, on to #4. This one got a maybe from me and yeses from all the other editors. Since I had the most "constructive" things to say, they put me in charge of editing it. It's not a bad story. The author is very good at setting the scene and making analogies. He over does it a bit. And has some sentence structure issues, but it's not a bad read. However, I felt it was too descriptive. Worse, the descriptions didn't seem to match with the story's theme. I also thought that the motivation of the main character could have been brought out better. So I edited the sentences and wrote out my critique and then sent it off to the author.

I've yet to hear back from the author. I'm afraid that I may have been too harsh and frightened him off. He has talent, but I think he doesn't write often and may be upset about the changes. Of course, I was comparing all of these stories to the ones I've read in the Harvard Summer Review (damn, those kids can write). Our submissions, however, come from mostly medical students. Maybe I set the bar too high. Hopefully, he'll reply with his own changes. Otherwise, I'll just put in my sentence structure changes and have it submitted as is. . .incomplete.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Lets talk about the economy instead.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The economy sucks. Talk about crappy literature! What's the worst story you've ever reading (excluding the one on the top of the page)?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The worst is a book titled 'The Cleansing' by a buddy of mine that I used to work at a gas station with. Great guy...in fact the only guy I ever knew that killed a bear with a rock (FACT!) but his post apocolyptic rag is long and horrible and I paid him $20 for it cuz he's a buddy and he killed a bear with a rock.

I got it here in the Phils in case I need a door stop.

Comment

I've yet to hear back from the author.
          I'd write the kid if I were you, and buck up his ego, saying something like: "I'm surprised we haven't heard back from you. The suggested changes weren't because we didn't think you story was good. We liked the story and want to publish it. We made the suggestions because we think your story can be even better!"

Comment

I'm hoping that was the impression he got when I wrote the first critique. However, I probably shouldn't have said, "You're writing is bad, and you should feel bad."
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

is this a pity thrade or a suggestion thrade?
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I don't know if you remember the Peanuts comics when Snoopy was trying to be a writer. One rejection slip he gets reads:

Dear Author:
                Never send us anything again! You are a terrible writer! You're writing is awful! Drop dead!!
                Snoopy crumples it up and tosses it over his head thinking: I hate these form rejection letters.

Comment

I thought this was now a thread about how my buddy, Dutch, author of the lousy book, 'The Cleansing' killed a bear with a rock, but I guess not since nobody has asked.

Comment

Was it a post-apocolyptic world without bears?
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Editing inexperienced writers is tough. They haven't developed the thick skin of a mercenary professional, so there's a tendency to take constructive criticism personally. You should reach out and reassure him.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                        Was it a post-apocolyptic world without bears?
                        Why the concern over bears? I would think your focus would be on tigers.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                          The economy sucks. Talk about crappy literature! What's the worst story you've ever reading (excluding the one on the top of the page)?
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Lost in Translation... I read in Japanese... it was worse than the movie. Maybe I should learn Japanese.

I tried reading The Kite Runner, but 50 pages in had to set it down. Robert Jordan, I read his first 2 books and got bored. Also, Michael Crichton is a lousy writer, he should stick to screenplays... or is he dead?
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              So I'm one of the editors for the fiction section of a literary magazine. Anyway, we only get four measly submissions this year. #1 is a juvenile piece of garbage that the author is trying to pass of as a parody. Ugh, he even spends an entire paragraph defending it within the story. Despite my objections, which were as dimplomatic as could be , it's being accepted so long as the author talks with another editor about fixing it. Depending on what the final version is, I may threaten to remove my name from the whole deal. #2 is a poem. We have a poetry section, why it was submitted here, I don't know. #3, oh how I trashed this. Turns out it was submitted to our group by mistake, should have been nonfiction. I think I know who wrote it too. It's very "her" style: good writing, bad ideas.

Anyway, on to #4. This one got a maybe from me and yeses from all the other editors. Since I had the most "constructive" things to say, they put me in charge of editing it. It's not a bad story. The author is very good at setting the scene and making analogies. He over does it a bit. And has some sentence structure issues, but it's not a bad read. However, I felt it was too descriptive. Worse, the descriptions didn't seem to match with the story's theme. I also thought that the motivation of the main character could have been brought out better. So I edited the sentences and wrote out my critique and then sent it off to the author.

I've yet to hear back from the author. I'm afraid that I may have been too harsh and frightened him off. He has talent, but I think he doesn't write often and may be upset about the changes. Of course, I was comparing all of these stories to the ones I've read in the Harvard Summer Review (damn, those kids can write). Our submissions, however, come from mostly medical students. Maybe I set the bar too high. Hopefully, he'll reply with his own changes. Otherwise, I'll just put in my sentence structure changes and have it submitted as is. . .incomplete.
                              Do you need more submissions? I've got a friend who is an aspiring writer, he could probably get you something.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X