Unix nerds unite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    The fact that you think I'm just referring to a text editor says it all.
    The fact that you can't imagine the implicit says all

Tools like VS is quite good, but it can't replace what is sitting 40 cm from the screen (I've a couple of years ago "inherited" some code made in VB6, and while she certainly had used the tool, she certainly also hadn't used her brain - it was a pain in the ass to refacture the mess).
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
      If you are a fan of vi-style editing, use ViEmu in Studio. Works like a charm.
      I'm not a fan of vi, just happens to have used it for some 20 years, so I have it seriously on my backbone - though, I occasionally has to fight with windows, so I'll look into that - thanks
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
        The fact that you can't imagine the implicit says all

Tools like VS is quite good, but it can't replace what is sitting 40 cm from the screen (I've a couple of years ago "inherited" some code made in VB6, and while she certainly had used the tool, she certainly also hadn't used her brain - it was a pain in the ass to refacture the mess).
        VS tools aren't meant to REPLACE the users, it's meant to ENABLE the users to be more productive.

One-click/keystroke refactorings (eg, extract an interface) are insane timesavers, especially in test-driven development. Things like visual remote debugging with the immediate window is crazy. WCF makes networking insanely easy and powerful. WPF can do amazing things with little effort. All that stuff...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

VS tools aren't meant to REPLACE the users, it's meant to ENABLE the users to be more productive.

One-click/keystroke refactorings (eg, extract an interface) are insane timesavers, especially in test-driven development. Things like visual remote debugging with the immediate window is crazy. WCF makes networking insanely easy and powerful. WPF can do amazing things with little effort. All that stuff...
          Quite right, but unfortunatedly, it also allows people that should have been dragged out into the courtyard and been shot, to write programs that never should have been made

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Sounds like you're doing a TV ad for used cars.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
              Sounds like you're doing a TV ad for used cars.
              There's a reason why .NET went from nothing to insanely pervasive in a very short time.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

There's a reason why .NET went from nothing to insanely pervasive in a very short time.
                Because they were "PRACTICALLY GIVING IT AWAY" at prices "SO LOW WE MUST BE KAH-RAZY"?
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Uh, .NET and all of its alternatives are free.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
                    It's simple. If you call some kernel "the kernel", that shows an almost religion-like attitude. And which OS has the most religiously zealous users? Linux, of course Hence, my language is correct
                    I suspect Apple's OS has more religious followers.

You are madmen both of you - nothing beats vi
                    Except maybe EMACS, pico, and quite possibly writing directly to a file from the command line.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Asher, do you use Resharper or Coderush or do you ride VS bareback?
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis View Post
                        Except maybe EMACS, pico, and quite possibly writing directly to a file from the command line.
                        Why not just let the compiler read stdin ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis View Post
                          I suspect Apple's OS has more religious followers.
                          You've never heard Linux geeks have a religious war over their kernel versions, have you. Apple's followers are cultists; Linux is a religion, complete with sects, heresies, and dogmas...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            Asher, do you use Resharper or Coderush or do you ride VS bareback?
                            I use Resharper, even though it takes up insane amounts of memory...

Comment

Resharper + Visual Assist + VisualSVN
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Aren't Visual Assist and Resharper kind of redundant?

What does VA do for you that Resharper doesn't?

Comment

Working...
                                X