Unix nerds unite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unix nerds unite!

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

It won't be the epochalypse of 2038, but 3:31 p.m. PST on Friday offers a moment notable enough for some Unix fans to raise a toast.

That's when Unix computer clocks will reach the time of 1234567890--1.2 billion seconds elapsed from January 1, 1970, the official beginning of the Unix epoch. The clock is used not just by Unix, but also by Linux, Java, JavaScript, Mac OS X, and various other technologies.

Happy 1234567890 to everyone (in a few hours)
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

On Friday 13th? We're toast.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It won't be the epochalypse of 2038

The kernel has already switched to a 64 bit value for keeping track of time.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
        It won't be the epochalypse of 2038

The kernel has already switched to a 64 bit value for keeping track of time.
        "the kernel" of what? There are MANY Unix kernels.

And if you are confusing UNIX with Linux I will be VERY UPSET with you.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Confusing? Not in the slightest. Real men use Linux anyway, not UNIX, and know that "the kernel" is the Linux kernel And anyway, Solaris has also switched to 64-bit timestamp if running on a 64-bit arch, and that one is actual UNIX

Comment

Confusing? Not in the slightest. Real men use Linux anyway, not UNIX, and know that "the kernel" is the Linux kernel And anyway, Solaris has also switched to 64-bit timestamp if running on a 64-bit arch, and that one is actual UNIX
            Real men do not use Linux. People who can't afford a real OS use Linux.

It is also remarkably stupid to assume "the kernel" refers to "the Linux kernel", particularly in a thread which is clearly labeled to be a UNIX thread.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It's simple. If you call some kernel "the kernel", that shows an almost religion-like attitude. And which OS has the most religiously zealous users? Linux, of course Hence, my language is correct

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                Real men do not use Linux. People who can't afford a real OS use Linux.

Are you still stuck with that hopeless AIX ?
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I'm targeting Windows 7 these days.

Linux's support for multitouch is lacking, to say the least.

Comment

I hope you're a good shot

Comment

I hope you're a good shot
                      I have a killer shot.

I'm thankful every day I've worked my way out of the Unix ghetto...

The development tools in the Windows world these days are out of this world. Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 3.5. Unparalleled.

Comment

Sadly, I'd have to concur.

Comment

You are madmen both of you - nothing beats vi
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The fact that you think I'm just referring to a text editor says it all.

Comment

If you are a fan of vi-style editing, use ViEmu in Studio. Works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                              X