Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revolution in Kuwait. Legitimate? Legal? Justifiable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolution in Kuwait. Legitimate? Legal? Justifiable?

The State of Kuwait's current population is estimated at roughly 3-3.5 million people; counting both locals and foreigners. Roughly 1 million (or nearly one third) of Kuwait's population is local, with 2-2.5 million residents registered as foreigners/non-locals. It is estimated that one in every 3-4 people in Kuwait are of Kuwaiti citizenship.
    What if I (or you) went to Kuwait and attempted a revolution there. A replay of France 1789. Downthrodden millions rising to overthrow the priviledged. Equal rights to all. Liberte, egalite, fraternite!

Is this morally OK? Do people living in a country have a right to be a part of the political process there irrespective of their origins? Would our new government be internationally recognized?

Also, are you busy this summer?

A la france of 1789, no. That was simply mob mass murder.

If you went and supported a revolution that a reasonable number of people already desired, then sure. Just as long as it wasn't mob mass murder, but a reasonably orderly seizing of power (even if somewhat military in nature, as long as it was just army vs army and not vs civilians). If it was just you by yourself STARTING the revolution (with no preexisting sentiment), then no.

Basically, as advisor - sure; as initial instigator-no.

And yes, so sorry, very busy this summer. Perhaps next.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If a bunch of non citizen resident aliens try to revolt to take over the country, I certainly think Kuwait would be justified in using their US-supplied military hardware to crush them mercilessly.
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        A la france of 1789, no. That was simply mob mass murder.
        No it wasn't.

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
        If a bunch of non citizen resident aliens try to revolt to take over the country, I certainly think Kuwait would be justified in using their US-supplied military hardware to crush them mercilessly.
        Slaves are always justified in attempting to overthrow their masters.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Jesus, are the leftists all out to make ridiculous comparisons today?? Calling the foreign workers in Kuwait slaves is asinine. They came to Kuwait to find work that their home countries (Pakistan, etc.) couldn't provide. To then turn around and say that the Kuwaiti government is evil, awful, and unfair, so they have to overthrow it, is completely unjustified.
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why Kuwait? Why not UAE or Quatar?
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Why not Russia?

Comment

Why not Russia?
                Why not, really?
                1) I doubt you could lead a guest worker revolution here: there are several million of them, but still few enough to not matter.
                2) We're a huge country. You can drive around UAE, Kuwait or Qatar, but travelling from Moscow to Vladivostok will take a lot of time.
                3) If you use the financial crysis to raise the citizens and overthrow Putin, you'll end up with Soviet Union. Which will threaten the US with nukes to settle its foreign debt.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Sounds like a plan.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Jesus, are the leftists all out to make ridiculous comparisons today?? Calling the foreign workers in Kuwait slaves is asinine. They came to Kuwait to find work that their home countries (Pakistan, etc.) couldn't provide. To then turn around and say that the Kuwaiti government is evil, awful, and unfair, so they have to overthrow it, is completely unjustified.
                    Said by someone who's completely ignorant about the status of foreign workers in the Gulf. DF, you don't know wtf you're writing about.

Once workers enter these countries, their passports are taken from them and they are treated as slaves. They often go unpaid, are beaten, raped, imprisoned. When workers try and organize to stop these abuses, they are expelled without pay, if they are lucky.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      If you went and supported a revolution that a reasonable number of people already desired, then sure. Just as long as it wasn't mob mass murder, but a reasonably orderly seizing of power (even if somewhat military in nature, as long as it was just army vs army and not vs civilians). If it was just you by yourself STARTING the revolution (with no preexisting sentiment), then no.

Basically, as advisor - sure; as initial instigator-no.
                      QFT -- Take for example, Lafayette. If HE'd have started the American Revolution, that'd be bad. But he came as an aide. That's okay. Later, he was one of the early leaders in the French Revolution, which was also okay. [He ended up getting jailed by people more radical than him.]

Comment

Said by someone who's completely ignorant about the status of foreign workers in the Gulf. DF, you don't know wtf you're writing about.

Once workers enter these countries, their passports are taken from them and they are treated as slaves. They often go unpaid, are beaten, raped, imprisoned. When workers try and organize to stop these abuses, they are expelled without pay, if they are lucky.
                        As long as they still pump our oil

Comment

Che, places like the UAE are more than happey to let their foreign workers go home, they don't want them getting cozy. The other abuses are real enough.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

In all seriousness, yes, che, of course I don't condone the kind of abuses you mentioned. And of course I'm in favor of the workers kicking the **** out of their abusive overlords.

I think the OP more had to do with whether or not they had the right to revolt just because there were more of them and they could (if the opportunity arose), but I might be wrong.

Comment

Well my only experience is like 4th handed: A friend (i think) of the father of an ex-roommate of mine worked in Dubai. And i guess, one has to imagine these sheikhdoms in a way, that hardly any of the indegenious people work there except as managers in the oil-industry pretty much. If you are qualified, and they like you, you have a steady busniess partner who will pay you excellent. If you own your own business and manage to make a deal with them, you will be fed feasts. If you work in a hotel as ´boy´: not so much. And yeah, you are not allowed to look them into the eyes as stranger, i heard. They know the world needs their oil and that ´allows´ them to be quite condescending, but, if they like you, also to be quite generous as well. Clischée maybe. And all said without judgment.

Comment

Working...
                              X