Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revolution in Kuwait. Legitimate? Legal? Justifiable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As has been said more elequently than I ever could:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Comment

That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government,
      Agreed, but we are talking about Kuwait here, not Pakistan/India/Phillipines/Malaysia.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
        Agreed, but we are talking about Kuwait here, not Pakistan/India/Phillipines/Malaysia.

All are republics.
        Kuwait is an absolute monarchy.

Comment

Che, places like the UAE are more than happey to let their foreign workers go home, they don't want them getting cozy. The other abuses are real enough.
          I hope Lancer chimes in about the problems Delores cousin had in one of the Gulf states.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm sure he will later, but now, it's 4:30 in the morning there.

Comment

I think that guest workers have a right to demand better treatment if their rights are being violated. I do NOT think they have a right to establish a government, however, regardless of the situation.

And anyone who thinks the French Revolution was anything other than mob mass murder needs to go back to history class.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I hope Lancer chimes in about the problems Delores cousin had in one of the Gulf states.
                I do as well, so he can tell you it was the company he worked for and not the government who took his passport.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                  Kuwait is an absolute monarchy.
                  No it isn't.

Comment

All of the gulf Arab states need the masses of foreigners to rise up and butcher their oppressors. Until then they will see no justice.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston View Post
                      No it isn't.
                      I bow to your superior knowledge.

Kuwait is a constitutional monarchy and has the oldest directly elected parliament in the Persian Gulf region. The head of state is the Emir or Sheikh, a hereditary office. The Emir appoints a Prime Minister, who until recently was also the Crown Prince. A council of ministers, also known as cabinet ministers, aids the Prime Minister in his task as the head of Government of Kuwait which must contain at least one elected member of the Kuwaiti parliament, known as Majlis Al-Umma (National Assembly). The National Assembly has the power to dismiss the Prime Minister or any member of cabinet through a series of constitutional procedures. All cabinet ministers are answerable to the National Assembly.

The National Assembly consists of fifty elected members, who are chosen in elections held every four years. Government ministers are also granted membership in the parliament and can number up to sixteen excluding the fifty elected members. According to the Constitution of Kuwait, nomination of a new Emir or Crown Prince by the ruling Al-Sabah family has to be approved by the National Assembly. If the nominee does not win the votes of the majority of the assembly, the royal family must submit the names of three other candidates to the National Assembly, and the Assembly must approve one of them to hold the post. Any amendment to the constitution can be proposed by the Emir but it needs to be approved by more than two-thirds of the members of the National Assembly before being implemented.[26] There have been several conflicts between the Emir, the government and the National Assembly over various policies. The National Assembly was suspended from 1976 to 1981, from 1986 to 1991 and from May 1999 to July 1999 due to irresolvable conflicts between some members of the government and the Assembly.

Two-thirds of Kuwait's population do not have citizenship and thus cannot vote in parliamentary elections. Additionally, prior to 2005, only 15% of the Kuwaiti citizen population was allowed to vote, with all women, "recently naturalized" citizens (i.e. those of less than thirty years' citizenship), and members of the Kuwaiti Armed Forces excluded. On May 16, 2005, Parliament permitted women's suffrage by a 35-23 vote, subject to official interpretation of Islamic law and effective for the 2006 parliamentary election. The decision raised Kuwait's eligible voter population from 139,000 to about 339,000. In 2006, Kuwaiti citizens were estimated to be more than 960,000. In 2005, the former Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah announced the appointment of the first women as a cabinet minister, Massouma Mubarak. She was designated the post of Planning Minister and Minister of State for Administrative Development Affairs.[28] During the 2008 parliamentary elections, 27 of the 275 candidates were women. However, none of them won.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                        I bow to your superior knowledge.
                        See, it didn't even hurt did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Winston View Post

See, it didn't even hurt did it?
                          Not true. I have an appointment with my chiropractor for tomorrow.

Comment

I do as well, so he can tell you it was the company he worked for and not the government who took his passport.
                            The government is not innocent in this. At best, they turn a blind eye. At worst, they help the citizens of Kuwait **** over the guest workers. As I recall, Delores cousin got into trouble with her employer, and ended up in jail over it.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

All feudal monarchies need to go. Hopefully this will happen after we've acheived of energy independence. Otherwise I suspect the US will end up on the wrong side.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

We're already on the wrong side. Gulf War I, supported a monarchy against a secular republic, remember?

Comment

Working...
                                X