No announcement yet.

Army suicide rate "terrifying"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Sad. I have no idea why. Increased stress? Drugs? Like DanS, I'd be inclined to suspect the drugs. I lost a brother due (in part) to prozac. I don't trust those drugs at all.

edit: and Felch brings up another distinct possibility: random fluctuation.

2. Ben being Ben. Much like Manny being Manny, it's simply to be expected.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Finally, a decent point.

Doesn't change the fact that the numbers were higher in 1980 then they are now.

Except they weren't higher in 1980.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

You saw a similar spike under Carter.

The cause isn't that difficult, a Commander in Chief that doesn't respect the military.

For a short time after reading this, I felt an urge to kill myself...

Or maybe, for a few seconds, I really was dead... from the [mind]blast
        The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Ben doesn't bother with facts. He just laps up whatever is posted on other right wing sites or sources and repeats it as god given truth.
          In the thread where he was defending GAP his Falun Gong example was from article in

that he posted at a another site. He believes all the biased crap that he reads. It just shows that he lacks any ability to objectively look at any subject. He just finds biased sources that reinforces his beliefs and used them for proof without putting any thought into it. So he usually starts by reguritating crap from those biased sites, then when he gets called on it, he goes back to those sites and can't find any supporting information. But heck that doesn't stop him, he just makes up more crap. Usually stuff that can't be verified. (like "but that is what I have heard from the servicemen that I know.") So arguing with him is futile becuase he'll just keep dodging then ignoring.

Ben why don't you just say what you believe instead of dancing around it.
          Suicides in the military are up because we elected a black/dem president.
          What a moron.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

To those who scoff at the thread because it's "only" 24 people, I would ask this question:

How many people have to die before it becomes important?

A hundred?

A thousand?

TEN thousand?

We live in a society that teaches life is sacred, and I would argue that even if it's "only" 24 people who killed themselves, that's still worth talking about.

Their lives, cut short by their own hand, still represents a tragic loss, even if you think the number unworthy of attention.

Of course, as ever, you are free to disagree.

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

You saw a similar spike under Carter.

The cause isn't that difficult, a Commander in Chief that doesn't respect the military.
              You're pathetic; please do us a favor, and leave.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Finally, a decent point.

As for the commander in chief comment, I was positive I would get flamed here, but that is what I have heard from the servicemen that I know.

In my opinion they are far more reliable sources as to the mood and the morale of the troops then the folks here on Poly.
                So something like 0.005 percent of American soldiers think like you?

Since you're known as a compulsive liar on here, give us some details about these servicemen if you're not making this **** up. What branches do they serve? What are their ranks? Where are they serving? How did you meet and come to personally know them? What cities do their families live in?

Of course, a compulsive liar will be able to make up these details as well, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                  All that fuss is about 24 soldiers? Noth hundreds or thousands?
                  I see the Russian mentality of "1 gun, 2 men" still thrives.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Are you of the opinion that the military is thrilled about Obama?
                    I have lots of friends still in the military and, yes, many of them are thrilled Bush is gone and happily voted for Obama.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx View Post
                      To those who scoff at the thread because it's "only" 24 people, I would ask this question:

A hundred?

A thousand?

TEN thousand?

We live in a society that teaches life is sacred, and I would argue that even if it's "only" 24 people who killed themselves, that's still worth talking about.

Their lives, cut short by their own hand, still represents a tragic loss, even if you think the number unworthy of attention.

Of course, as ever, you are free to disagree.

-=Vel=-
                      My rule of thumb is to compare the amount against the amount of people who died in car accidents during the same period of time. Weighted. 24 per 500000 per month versus 42000 per 300000000 per year, which equals 3.5 per 300000 per month. Okay, that is a significant amount of deaths. Do something about it.
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

"Sorry, DanSed. I might add that I've seen an AP story, since reposted in tons of other places, that says that the Army only started keeping stats in 1980. Not coincidentally, exactly 26 years from 2006."

Finally, a decent point.

Doesn't change the fact that the numbers were higher in 1980 then they are now.
                        HOLY ****!!! I WOULD BE ROTFLMAO AT YOUR UTTER PIGHEADED STUPIDITY IF THIS WASN'T SUCH A SERIOUS SUBJECT!!!
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx View Post

More than 24?

The fact that we can't draw a hard line after which deaths become important doesn't mean that any death actually matters. That's a basic fallacy.

Blah blah blah thousands of people die in car accidents all the time. Tragedy is overrated.

Comment

Don't hold back, MOBIUS. Tell us how you really feel.

Comment

As if Moby gives a flying **** about deaths in the US military. Actually, check that, enjoying them counts as caring...

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

There's not enough data in the story to determine why those soldiers are killing themselves. So Good guesses like medicine, and truly obscene ones like Ben's, are all just farts in the wind (except Ben's, which was like a fart in an elevator). I could guess, but why contribute to global warming.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X