Suck it, Ben.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suck it, Ben.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. National Post offers information on latest national and international events & more.

U of C charges campus anti-abortion group for trespassing

A group of pro-life student activists are heading to court this month after the University of Calgary charged them with trespassing.

Campus Pro-Life and university administrators have been locked in an ongoing dispute over a controversial anti-abortion display called the Genocide Awareness Project, which puts images of dead fetuses next to Holocaust or Rwanda genocide victims.

On November 26, the student group went ahead with plans to erect the display against the university's requests to turn the graphic images inward to protect those who didn't wish to see them.

More than two months later, some of the students behind the project have been charged with trespassing and received summonses to court on Feb 27.

"It's surprising, to say the least, as well as disappointing," said Campus Pro-Life president Leah Hallman.

"I agree we were warned (about the possibility of legal action.) But we had a lot of hope. now a lot of that hope has now been crushed."

U of C has not yet responded to a request for comment.

But in a written statement issued when the display was put up in November, the university administration said it has "asked the Calgary Police Service to issue the appropriate summonses to the individuals ignoring the notice of trespass or to take other appropriate steps to enforce the directive."

It went on to say the matter might be resolved "through the court system."
    Your kind is endangered.

That is all.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Crushing their hope

Comment

I knew he couldn't stay away. Good to have you back and please continue going to indie music concerts. It will do you good to be around mellow people.
      Last edited by Dinner; February 2, 2009, 22:34.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Good to see a fair and balanced reponse from the UoC
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

People shouldn't call them U of C. No one outside of the frozen arctic wastes will know you're talking about the University of Calgary. It might be University of Colorado or something. Better to give the full name when speaking of an obscure place.

Comment

And on Feb. 2, the groundhog poked its head out of its burrow and saw... Asher!!!

According to tradition, that means 6 more weeks of (winter?)(confrontation?)(gay pride?)
            {insert clever punchline here}...
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

University of Colorado is known as Colorado. In the civilized (academic) world [which is one of those oxymorons, like "military intelligence"], the University of Chicago is the only U of C

Asher will disagree with this of course, but you have to forgive him as he's from Canada and forgets that using the minor league names out of context isn't appropriate
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Calgary is very obscure. When talking about a place so far from the civilized world it is best to give the full name. I mean does a great institution like the University of Chicago want to be confused with a back water or worse get blamed for something they do?

Comment

Welcome back.
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

welcome back!!
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The guys name isn't Kotter. What is this? A sweat hog convention!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Comment

U of C charges campus anti-abortion group for trespassing
                          I guess they are about to get aborted themselves...

Maybe they should change their names to the anti campus anti-abortion group abortion group?
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Asher, I'm upset that you didn't reply to my unsolicited, patronizing advice.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

---> Asher - BK subforum
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X