Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow

My god the UK is inept at dealing with a mere 20cm of snow.

I'm stuck at home. No trains, no buses*, no underground, no car. I phoned in to work to say I can't make it, but there was no one there to take my call.

* - well, there are two abandon buses on the way to the train station.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

The Underground shut down? That's pathetic. DC does much better, and we even manage to earn the derision of the new president for not dealing well with winter weather.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's only underground in the centre of London. Most of the mileage (about 60% from memory) is above ground.

Victoria line (entirely underground I think) is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
        The Underground shut down? That's pathetic. DC does much better, and we even manage to earn the derision of the new president for not dealing well with winter weather.
        It's all relative, I guess. We do better, but we've got trains older than I am that constantly break down due to lack of maintenance which in turn is due to lack of funds.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Similar for the Washington Metro. But it wouldn't shut down for 8" of snow.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Thousands of commuters have been stranded at home after the most severe snow in 18 years fell over large parts of England, disrupting train networks and closing schools.
            The entire London bus network has been withdrawn, 10 of the 11 lines on the London Underground were either completely or partly suspended and a BAA spokesperson said both runways at Heathrow Airport were now closed.

An extreme weather warning has been issued by the Met Office for England, Wales and parts of eastern Scotland but the south-east of England has been hit the hardest.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
              Similar for the Washington Metro. But it wouldn't shut down for 8" of snow.
              *cough* I was talking about DC.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think some local governments have cut all their programs to deal with snow to almost nothing to save money as we only have a day like this every few years. In Henley for work and it's amazing the difference you get in oxfordshire compared to berkshire.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  *cough* I was talking about DC.
                  I wasn't responding to you.

Comment

Comment

Seriously, this country needs to actually learn how to handle snow instead of the collapse of society that happens every year.

[action=Starchild]is bitter since his 'snow day' involved seven hours in the lab[/action]
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I also live in the DC area, and I am pretty sure that 8" of snow would shut down damn near everything, including the metro. All of the lines go above ground eventually and all the maintenance is above ground as well. In the last 30 years, we've never had more than 6" of snow without closing the Federal Government, so 8" would be paralyzing. OTOH while going to school in Utah, that much snow would have caused only a minor flicker related to parking lots and such. Maybe London is normally like that? Hence the consternation?
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Not much snow here, but we have to deal with a cold spell. -20C means significantly fewer people can fit into a single metro carriage.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            It's only underground in the centre of London. Most of the mileage (about 60% from memory) is above ground.

Victoria line (entirely underground I think) is ok.
                            How are we supposed to get to Mornington Crescent if the Underground is shut down
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
                              I also live in the DC area, and I am pretty sure that 8" of snow would shut down damn near everything, including the metro.
                              Have any examples of the metro shutting? We've had several 8"+ snows in the recent past, so you should have your pick.
                              Last edited by DanS; February 2, 2009, 12:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X