Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are windfarms more dangerous than nuclear power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind power is never there when most needed, at least in Australia, performs best during periods of off peak demand, shuts down during periods of peak demand causing blackouts. Last thing we need is electricity that operates only during off peak periods.
    During our present extreme heatwave with temperatures in our bigger cities rising to 45C there has been massive blackouts, and windpower part of cause.
    It is mostly a design issue though, apparently they have automatic cutouts to prevent overheating in very hot temperatures, same with some of our major interstate connectors, so the whole system crashes just when it is needed most for our airconditioned building. A number of deaths have been reported due to power outages stopping airconditioners from working. A building in the heat we have been getting will rise to internal temperatures of 40C plus, some to 50C without cooling

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
      Wind Turbines also kill birds and cause disruptions in their flight paths.

That can be a good thing. You just have to place the windmills at the right location.
      Like an airport for example.
      Nobody wants birds at airports, they get sucked into turbines and cause planes to crash. So using windmills to decimate them and/or scare them away sounds like agood idea. It even generates power
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        Good one... darn those coconuts!
        Spielberg is just working on a movie about coconuts terrorizing a small coastal town. The police chief warns about them, but greedy local polititcians don't want to scare tourists away, and so the trouble starts....Movie title is of course "Nuts"
        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
          That can be a good thing. You just have to place the windmills at the right location.
          Like an airport for example.
          Nobody wants birds at airports, they get sucked into turbines and cause planes to crash. So using windmills to decimate them and/or scare them away sounds like agood idea. It even generates power
          You realize it would interfere with the AIRPLANES' flight paths also, right?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You realize it would interfere with the AIRPLANES' flight paths also, right?
            Well, I wouldn´t advocate placing them directly at the beginning or end of the runway of course
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

F***! NOW i know why my planes in Sim City 2000 kept crashing!

Comment

Welcome to the ´Matrix´. (Seriously the movie´s plot - draining energy from lifeforms that are deprived of light - makes any environmental scientiest roll its eyes and slap his forehead - or at least it should)
                UM: The movie original had a more sensible explanation, something about using the computing power of the human brain but it was changed to energy by some Hollywood fat-cats who though anything else would be unintelligible to the audiences they had been dumbing down for decades. I have tried repeatedly to explain how stupid the body-heat-farming BS was to people but the second-law of thermodynamic is beyond 90+% of the population.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Unimatrix11 View Post
                  F***! NOW i know why my planes in Sim City 2000 kept crashing!
                  Yeah, that pissed me off. Every 6 months a plane crashes or a volcano erupts or there is an earthquake...
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah, greenpeace is the first place I think of when looking for unbiased data about nuclear power.
                    It's a lot more realistic than the link in the OP which is insane.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

There is no link in the OP. Unless of course you mean the one to Cort Haus's name, he might very well be insane (but in a good way).
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                        There is no link in the OP.
                        Maybe that's what I meant.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG] View Post
                          UM: The movie original had a more sensible explanation, something about using the computing power of the human brain but it was changed to energy by some Hollywood fat-cats who though anything else would be unintelligible to the audiences they had been dumbing down for decades. I have tried repeatedly to explain how stupid the body-heat-farming BS was to people but the second-law of thermodynamic is beyond 90+% of the population.
                          I didnt even think of thermodynamics, but of ecology. Very basic ecology. No light -> no life. Pretty much. I know there are exceptions, but those are not part of the Matrix-plot in any way. Without getting too deep into it, there might be twists and tweaks, which might make this plot work, but ultimately, any other energy source would have made more sense (yes, even wind!) under any circumstances imaginable. Now ´brainpower´ might make a lot more sense. My favorite would have been ´curiosity´. The machines hook up the people, in order to understand their irrational behaviour (without running the risk of them destroying the world), or some such. Kind of like ´Lore´, the evil ´Data´. Striving to understand humanity with inhumane methods (cause how would you know what is humane, if you do not understand humanity and human emotions, like pain for example?)...

Comment

Working...
                          X