Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are windfarms more dangerous than nuclear power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are windfarms more dangerous than nuclear power?

I read somewhere that the number of deaths worldwide from windmills is 52. Deaths at Chernobyl were supposedly around 50, plus two people in an accident in Japan. So the wind industry has matched nuclear's total accident record in 20 years while producing nearly 1% as much power & at only 10 times the cost.

Yes. Particularly Dutch windmills. They're vicious suckers. They hide in corners. You're walking down the street, or skating on the levee, or whatnot, and all of a sudden, BAM!, a windmill hits you right in the kisser.

Serious: Yes, of course. Nuclear power is far safer than any other power in terms of (people killed)/MW. Look at Coal ... People are just scared of the word "Nuclear". Maybe because they don't know how to pronounce or spell it? Or because physicists are scary? Dunno.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
      I read somewhere that the number of deaths worldwide from windmills is 52.
      What?

How?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Probably they use smart, sofisticated peeples to set up and use nuke plants while they use the Al Bundys (the construction ones) of the world to set up and operate wind turbines.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Deaths at Chernobyl were supposedly around 50

An interesting piece of political spin.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I read somewhere that the number of deaths worldwide from windmills is 52. Deaths at Chernobyl were supposedly around 50, plus two people in an accident in Japan. So the wind industry has matched nuclear's total accident record in 20 years while producing nearly 1% as much power & at only 10 times the cost.

See... Now you're using math and logic both of which are things which your average anti-nuclear energy fear mongers are totally unable to comprehend.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
              An interesting piece of political spin.
              Direct deaths were 56 or so, cleanup crews mostly, and about 4000 extra cancer deaths. Which doesn't seem like a lot.

I'd love to see some non-biased info on modern, western nuclear plants and uranium mining...
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Wiki says cancer cases but didn't say how many people died. That's also an estimate not a hard figure.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Wind Turbines also kill birds and cause disruptions in their flight paths.

No matter what we do, we will **** up the planet.
                  be free

Comment

Depends what those numbers mean.
                    How did those 52 die?
                    Was it directly from the way electricity is generated by windmills, or are they also indirect death. Like falling off one of these mills, or during the building of the mills.
                    If it is the latter, then you have to count also the indirect death for nukular energy. How many workers died in the whole world, that is including in former USSR, China, Iran, Korea and others, during the building of nuclear plants.

Now, that being said, I still think the number of death per KWH produced will be smaller for nuclear power. And even if it is not, then we should count other indirect death. Those due to power shortage in the case there was no nuke power. How many life saved because of energy/electricity? That is something windmills cannot provide today.
                    If we put in perspective how many life nuclear power costs vs how many life it saves, there is no hesitation.
                    Don't look at the costs only, also look at the benefits. Windmills are a joke.
                    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Mining uranium is a particularly nasty operation through pollution. Gotta include costs from that as well.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                        Yes. Particularly Dutch windmills. They're vicious suckers. They hide in corners. You're walking down the street, or skating on the levee, or whatnot, and all of a sudden, BAM!, a windmill hits you right in the kisser.

Serious: Yes, of course. Nuclear power is far safer than any other power in terms of (people killed)/MW. Look at Coal ... People are just scared of the word "Nuclear". Maybe because they don't know how to pronounce or spell it? Or because physicists are scary? Dunno.
                        It´s nocular, Snoopy. Nocular.

Comment

Despite being from the ´eco-camp´, i dont have as many objections to NP as most of my people do, but the major problem i see is the waste-problem. Isnt a lot of the waste suitable for weapons? And is it really a good solution to dig that stuff under, and hope nobody digs it back up within the next 20K years? In germany they want to use a salt-mine for it. I am not a geologist, but a salt-mine? Doesnt salt help corrosion? Doesnt salt tend to rise to the surface (in geological time-frames) - or at least is pretty mobile in the underground? And have all the radiating waste in one place? Seriously, taking responsibility would not be anything like dig it where i cant see it and be gone, but something like building observable building on ground, or just below it and have them guarded and checkep-up properly.

I just want to remind people, though, that uranium is also a limited ressource, which might not even last as long as oil. Wind-energy does not need any fuel. From a sustainablity point of view, wind-power is for both reasons, the waste-problem and the fuel-problem, way superior (in such magintude, like a nuclear sub is superior to a conventional one - to give a pro-NP-metaphor).

(I dont buy the death numbers anyway - 83% of people know, that statistics, esp. in this field, can not be trusted).

Comment

Mining is messy. Disposing of nuclear waste is a problem. And, of course, if something goes wrong at a nuclear reactor, the consquences can be catastrophic. Even though the odds of such an event may be tiny, that's not a trivial concern.

So no, I don't buy that windfarms are more dangerous than nuclear plants.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Scientists need to get together and come up with an entirely new name for fusion power plants in order to fool the public into believing it's not nuclear like fission plants are. That way we can get some funding into fusion power and stop having to worry about all this silly energy stuff. I vote for calling it doughnut power.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X