Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have anything like KLADR in your country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have anything like KLADR in your country?

KLADR is a publicly accessible list of all addresses in Russia. This means you can take any address, like "1 Red Square, Moscow" or "the garage of the cement plant 11 km from Kirovograd", including outdated ones and
    a) verify that it exists and is up-to-date (so you don't send your mail to Stalingrad)
    b) store the address as an unambiguous short numeric code.
    A postal extension allows you to enumerate over every single apartment and office, but you have to be a postal worker to get it.

Do you have anything like that in your own country? Also, where can I download it, then?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Doesn't Google Maps or Live Maps do #1?
    B♭3

Comment

where "a" = 1...

Though I don't think Google makes any pretense to being either comprehensive or up to date.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

There's always USPS.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Actually Google is up-to-date as within 24 hours except for weekends for all addresses in the continental US. They seem pretty up to date for Mexico, Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii too, but I've not seem any claims as to how up-to-date. Using the satellite version, you can verify in reasonably hi-def what is located at a given address and you can determine the address of almost any legal commerce location. You can save the address, naming it anything you want, which might be the same as the "b" in your message, Onodera.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

As to obsolete addresses -- "the street used to be named Confederate Road" or a changed city name, I suspect you will stump any US mapping system by looking for the old name. Even the USPS loses track of subdivided or joined ZIP code areas and can't tell you what the area looked like exactly before the most recent change. Supposedly this stuff is on record down to the 4-digit code for each address when in one zip code and its new 4 digit code in the transformed zip code. I wouldn't make any serious bets on getting the USPS to come up with the previouss stuff quickly or easily.
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Dp

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                Do you have anything like that in your own country? Also, where can I download it, then?
                None of your business, you god damn Russian. Stop spying on us!
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

no numeric codes, but i don't know how sending info to certain apartments or offices is revolutionary

Comment

Businesses use the NCOA database, maintained by the USPS, to update mailing information based on people moving, deaths, people in jail, etc... various services (for example, Anchor Computers) will perform lookups for a fee.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

a) verify that it exists and is up-to-date (so you don't send your mail to Stalingrad)
                      You can send mail into the past!?! Sweet, I have some lottery numbers and stock trade tickers to send to myself.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                        Businesses use the NCOA database, maintained by the USPS, to update mailing information based on people moving, deaths, people in jail, etc... various services (for example, Anchor Computers) will perform lookups for a fee.
                        It's a bit different. KLADR doesn't track people's addresse, it just tracks the locations themselves.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Google does what you say KLADR does, except for the historical translations. It also shows you a satellite image of the place in question in sufficient detail to distinguish building- and car-types, as well as people and small animals. I don't know if Google is available in Russia, but I'm sure they'd like to be.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            It's a bit different. KLADR doesn't track people's addresse, it just tracks the locations themselves.
                            I'm not entirely sure what value that has except to historians... in business you care about people (or, businesses) rather than buildings typically.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Google Maps also tracks addresses, i.e., buildings or locations, not occupants.

Comment

Working...
                              X