Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about Montessori?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a better reason than most for liking it.
    B♭3

Comment

Montesorri is supposed to be great to pupils with learning problems and such. But I can't say I'm impressed with our local school. It was said to be a great school, but then it was revealed there were massive problems right underneath the surface, which resulted in most of the employees quiting and parents withdrawing their kids in protest of the treatment both of the employees and some of the kids. Seems the leadership didn't do a good job. Of course this is only one school, but there have been a few scratches on Montesorri's reputation around in Norway the last few years from what I understand.

DanS: New? It's been a few years since that woman started up.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
        DanS: New? It's been a few years since that woman started up.
        Yes, but she wasn't in the US, was she?

Montessori schools in the US are primarily a product of the 60s and 70s counterculture.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, you did get your first taste over there in 1913...

But you are right that it was in the 60s that the method gained ground.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Then again we only got Montessori schools in the late 80s. So take that, you American you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
              ... you American you.
              I hope you typed that with one hand, and swung the other around the wrist properly (like we europeans always do when talking with our nasal voices), while typing.

Comment

During my lessons of pedagogics we've learned about Montessori schools and I believe the opinion was, in general, pretty positive.
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                X