Is This A Good Poem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This A Good Poem?

I am attempting to write a poem to send to my girlfriend, as seen in Kurt Vonnegut's EPICAC. Please assess its viability and offer suggestions. I am going to put it on a Valentine's Day card assuming she doesn't start screwing someone else first, which is highly likely since I am planning on telling her I have some sort of incurable STD when I get tired of her, which probably won't happen until after Valentine's day. Please check my iambic pentameter as well, though I break meter at the end for obvious thematic reasons (you break meter when you want to surprise someone and keep them wanting more).

What is bigger than the sky,
    The clouds up so very high,
    The tears from an African's eye,
    The penis of the elephant so wry? (wikipedia confirms this) -->PARENTHESIS NOT IN THE POEM
    My dear, I cannot, I cannot tell a lie;
    It is your boobs.

I tried "breasts" but it is too many syllables and she might think I was going for a Haiku, when this is more styled after a Chaucer or a Milton (European style poetry as opposed to the Japanese or Far East Asian). She's kind of skanky so I doubt she would be prudish if I gave this to her but she majored in English so any faults would stare at her like a sore thumb

It's the best poem evar!
    Blah

Comment

I love it!

Comment

No, you don't. Don't lie to him. It sucks African elephant dick.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Why? I am not trying for a puhlitzer. I just want to get a funny reaction coupled with sex but wonder if maybe "wry" isn't the best word there, should it be replaced with sly? Would anyone call an elephant sly or are they much too big.

Comment

An elephant can't be sly on their best day.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

This would win teh poolitzer.
              Blah

Comment

1. No, it is not a good poem.
                2. Yes, odds are it will increase your odds of getting laid.
                3. Why is this not a poll
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

POOlitzer? Is that a play on words? Poo=****? I say keep trying.

Comment

Poo = poo, dear Sloww. You know, the brown stuff that comes out the back end?

Comment

That's what I thought and said. The poem sucks. Try again.

Comment

Maybe you and the snoopy could try improving it for me, I'd be forever grateful. The line about Africans needs to stay because she hates charity relief, but everything else I could care less about. P.S. How is the meter? Is the Iambic pentameter right at least.

Comment

Is this a Ciro de Bergerac damn scenaraio? Should we crouch in the shrubs?

Comment

Your cultural references elude me, is that a Western?

Comment

Wiggie, I'm 99.9% sure you are better at getting tail than I am, so I will not attempt to damage your ability to do so by editing your poem. In fact, I should make some suggestions so that you can ignore them and be better off.

I would shorten the word 'penis' to one syllable (i'm sure you can come up with one ) or else shorten elephant to 'phant, or both (as it is you have 9 syllables there without saying elephant in one syllable, which is odd). Or make this true iambic pentameter, which means 10 syllables, and add some words elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X