I'm feeling the effects of the credit crunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
    That's actually a rather small relevancy since whoever obtains the card doesn't have the code. Moreover his window of opportunity should be minimal since I can dial 24/7 to have it blocked. I am trying very hard to rephrase what I already said.
    There are plenty of places in the US that you can still use a card that doesn't require a pin number or a zip code. Restaurants, for example, and gas stations to a lesser extent now. You could probably order online using it, or over the phone depending on the merchant.

Also, its pretty unlikely that you will lose your card and realize that fact immediately but not be able to recover it.

If someone lifted just a card out of my wallet (rather than the whole wallet), there's a pretty decent chance I wouldn't realize it for days.

Comment

Debit cards are used so extensively around here it's pretty likely you realise within hours the card is gone.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Canadians use debit cards more than anybody else in the world. They've changed the way we shop and how we bank. But what most debit card users don't know is that along with the convenience comes a very real risk.

Lorne Turcotte of Kingston, Ontario, knows all about it. One Sunday morning in July he went to his bank to take out some money and to his surprise his account was frozen. According to the bank his account had been "compromised."

The thieves installed two devices on the ATM: a miniature camera and a fake front that looks like the bank's card reader. The reader records bank account information as the card is passed through it and the camera allows the crooks to see the PIN. With that information the thieves can use a computer and a card-writer to make an exact duplicate of the debit card and help themselves to the money in the account.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The above is why I always obscure the view of the keypad at the ATM with my wallet when typing my pin.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Debit cards are easily the least secure ways to purchase things. I've known many people who've been screwed out of money due to bank card issues, PIN or no, while I've known no one who has had to pay fraudulent charges on a credit card...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              A mortgage at 8%?!?!
              Mine's at EURIBOR+0.6%.
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                A mortgage at 8%?!?!
                That's not so weird in the US for a "jumbo" loan. Jumbo 30-year fixed interest rate mortgages are going for 6.8% nowadays, and that's with Fed target rates of 0%. Kuci's parents are probably paying that for his 12 bathrooms.

Of course, for smaller loans, 8% is indeed obscene.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                X