Why do we value war effort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we value war effort?

Yeah I know, it's dangerous business. Most people never choose to do it, some other person made the decision for them and so they have to risk their lives.

The point I'm making is that we become distant, like I watch some WWII documentaries all the time. To me they seem great. There's nostalgia, you think men were better, braver, more solid. But then when you really think about it, tens of millions of people died. Maniacs running all over the place, mass killing, genocidal sickos at their peak, what's so great about that? I think we're much more sensitive these days so we have to become distant. Sensitive, as in not used to. Back then, war was more statistical. Just bomb the whole city might be a good solution, from all sides. This makes me think about the good and bad side, is there any? Maybe there's just a degree of bad.

Of course we value individual effort. Of course we value the effort our our friends and families. Of course. And the sacrifices, loss of life in the family, yes of course. But at the same time, all a politician has to do is play that card and we're sort of on the boat for some more. Not eagerly perhaps, but let's just say willing. And more than not, it's always about some dude. It's a handful of people that start it, finish it and it's millions of people affected by it.

I like the old style of fighting. The King goes as well. More preferably the political command leads the attack. If we lose, they get their heads chopped off. That's the way I see it going down. I don't see a company doing well where their management sort of pitches their employees in a situation and they die in it. Why should states?

States aren't very solid things anyway, you get some ***** saying in the 1600s, or was it 16th century, that state should play this role and this is my suggestion, and then it sort of becomes the thing to do. They break up all the time anyway. I don't see it going on for a next 1000 years. I don't know... maybe we should just do a little soul searching and do a new division or forget the idea of division. Destroy extreme relativism. Invest all our money in biotech so we can bring back Jimi Hendrix. And Jim Morrison. Then we should rock out with our **** out.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Somehow I knew penile flagellation would make an entrance here.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Any reason it shouldn't be included?

Well let's think about it. If we came to a conclusion that we can't do war anymore, that men can't fight in a war. Somehow all countries actually follow up on this.

But then, one country decides to go to war with its women. And then another country answers, now we send all our women to fight in an all out war. Do you send your women into the mix?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Because it makes for really cool war movies.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

So you're saying they don't deserve their own country? Wow. I never thought I'd actually hear you say that.
          In da butt.

Comment

Just bomb the whole of France. There's lots of corner restaurants, but they aren't of high quality. In fact they're very average, and drinks of all kinds are very polite and helpful.

The point I'm making is that we have empirical evidence that supports it.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I like your words.
              In da butt.

Comment

I learned my words from a master.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Re: Why do we value war effort?

Originally posted by Pekka

I like the old style of fighting. The King goes as well. More preferably the political command leads the attack. If we lose, they get their heads chopped off. That's the way I see it going down.
                  You want to return to the old days? I don't think so. Take Basileios II Boulgaroktonos (nickname means 'the bulgar-slayer') of the Byzantine empire. Upon victory, he allegedly blinded blinded 99% of 15,000 Bulgarian captives. 150 of them were only stabbed out one eye so they could lead the blind home.

What about the countless times entire tribes were exterminated, like what Caesar did with the Nervii in Gaul?

I think it's good that solders and generals at least try to spare the lives of harmless citizens. It doesn't eradicate the chance of atrocities happening during war, but it helps.
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Yes, we've had a very enlightened war policy for the last 20 years or so.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Only kill those who deserve it?
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        But then, one country decides to go to war with its women. And then another country answers, now we send all our women to fight in an all out war. Do you send your women into the mix?
                        Women can't flail their penises around the way an army of men can. Well, okay, they could, but I'd rather not get into the details on how to make that possible.

War today should just line the troops up on both sides and flagellate around their penises. Size, vigor of flailing, and last one standing all count towards who wins.

Comment

Working...
                        X