"Deep Throat" Croaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Deep Throat" Croaks

(CNN) -- W. Mark Felt, who leaked information to reporters under the moniker, "Deep Throat," about the Watergate break-in, died Thursday at the age of 95, sources told CNN.

W. Mark Felt, known as "Deep Throat," divulged information to reporters about the Watergate break-in.

Rob Jones, Felt's grandson, said his grandfather died at his home in Santa Rosa, California. According to published reports, Felt died of congestive heart failure.

Felt admitted in a 2005 Vanity Fair article he was the Washington Post's source for many of its 400 stories on the Watergate affair during the early 1970s. The Watergate break-in eventually led to the 1974 resignation of President Richard Nixon.

"I'm proud of everything that Deep Throat did," Felt, 92, told CNN's "Larry King Live" in 2006, his first public interview on the subject.

Felt's entanglement with history occurred in 1972 after the bungled break-in at the Democratic National Party offices in the Watergate hotel. Felt, an associate director at the FBI, said he was unhappy with the way the administration meddled with the investigation into the break-in, which led him to divulge information to the newspaper.

Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, then-rookie reporters with the Washington Post, did stories about the break-in and subsequent cover-up. Both men credited Felt for helping them, but Bernstein said Felt was a tough interview.

"He didn't leak. He had to really be squeezed," Bernstein said in a 2006 interview. "He confirmed mostly what we had gotten elsewhere. He didn't want to volunteer a lot of information, yet his role was essential in giving us a solidity and a knowledge that what we were reporting was right."

"I thought I was doing the right thing," he said. Watch Felt's interview with Larry King »

Felt, who retired from the FBI in 1973, had his own legal problems. He was convicted in 1980 on conspiracy charges for authorizing government agents to break into homes without search warrants in a hunt for bombing suspects in 1972 and 1973.

When the case went to trial, former President Nixon testified on Felt's behalf. Felt was eventually pardoned in 1981 by President Ronald Reagan.

When asked how he would like to be remembered, Felt said, "I'd like to be remembered as a government employee who did his best to help everybody."

I consider him to be a true patriot and American hero.

RIP.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Felt, who retired from the FBI in 1973, had his own legal problems. He was convicted in 1980 on conspiracy charges for authorizing government agents to break into homes without search warrants in a hunt for bombing suspects in 1972 and 1973.
      I wouldn't go into hero worship mode. He was only ethical as it suited him.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I agree with SlowwHand; worshiping things is dumb.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Unless, of course, the idol helped bring down one of the biggest tyrant-wannabees in U.S. history.
          Last edited by Zkribbler; December 19, 2008, 15:57.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

RIP.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

What a douche bag. Lori is an industrial strength douche bag.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

RIP.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I see. This is a douche bag convention.

Comment

Nixon

Comment

Nixon dying first.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

What Felt helped expose, needed exposing. Maybe not heroic, but at least he put country above party and, given the opportunity to do the right thing, acted on it.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          Unless, of course, the idol helped bring down one of the biggest tyrant-wannabees in U.S. history.
                          Tyrant wannabee?
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I see they finally caught up with him.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

What Felt helped expose, needed exposing. Maybe not heroic, but at least he put country above party and, given the opportunity to do the right thing, acted on it.
                              The fact that he was so circumspect about it, really makes me question his motives. Good that he did what he did, but WoodStein really had to work for it, regardless.

Asmodean
                              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
                              X