Holy depression: my life is ****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molly bloom

Seriously (although my previous reply was serious too) regular exercise is part of an antidote for depression- whether it involves going to the gym, swimming, a long walk, hiking up a mountain or skiing.

How far are you from mountains ?

There's a reason the English Romantic poets and the Continental Romantic painters liked mountains and Alpine scenery- like the sea, the awesome presence of raw nature takes you out of yourself.

Give it a try.
    Yes, I just come back from a long walk and I'll go skiing with my wife the day after tomorrow. I honestly hope this helps. I'm desperate.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Yes, I just come back from a long walk and I'll go skiing with my wife the day after tomorrow. I honestly hope this helps. I'm desperate.
      Do consider a course of mild anti-depressants, and don't forget that chocolate contains mood uplifting chemicals.

Shouldn't be too hard to find good quality chocolate in Austria at Christmas.

Best of luck in all your efforts, old chum.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
        OK, so here's my situation after Christmas.
        I thought I'd get over it as quickly as I fell into the hole, but I don't. I think my wife is part of the problem. At the same time I have my issues she started to frequently contact a colleague (female), talking basically about her "self". So, while I'm in deep ****, she's on an enlightenment trip trying to figure out the sense of life. She assures me that it's not about us, and I honestly believe that she doesn't talk about our issues, being more concentrated on her own personality and about her gradfather, who is in hospital and whom she contacted after 12 years of mutual ignorance (difficult issue). But it makes me mad. It starts with a long email at 8am, continues over about a dozen or more SMS over the day and ends with another lengthy email, consuming totally about 2h+ a day. Add this to my previously described personal problem. It's not how I envisioned my holidays, it's not how I expected things would return to normal. I'm sick, I have no idea how to get trough this.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Hi again everone who cares.

Here's my final report on my psychological state in this thread:

The good news: Life is back to almost normal by now.
          I got offered psychological therapeutical help by one really nice Poly member who read this thread. Finally, I didn't feel it to be the way I wanted to handle the situation, but again: Thank you for reaching out your hand, it was the starting point for me to make more active steps to solving the crisis.
          So, I went to see a doctor, who prescribed me a "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor" early in January. After some 10 days, my mood got better.
          Additionally, on Jan.7, my wife's grandfather could go home (with 24h care), so ever since she visits him 1-2x/week, which is completely acceptable to me. Her psycho-colleague is still around but contact has been reduced to a normal level, so her ego-trip is within some boundaries. I think it helped that I didn't keep my mouth shut about the problems I have, so we could work out a compromise where everyone's needs are addressed.

As a third step, I decided to get a new perspective job-wise, supported both by my wife and my "boss" at university. I'm now taking up studies again, with pedagogical formation and Geography as a second subject, becoming a teacher. This should take me no longer than 5 semesters, since I already have a History PhD...
          I'm not abandoning my institute completely but will finance myself by assisting a project on POWs in Early Modern Europe on a 10h/week basis, allowing me to survive this period and to remain in pipe for habilitation.
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Congrats, sir!

I am glad to hear that you're feeling better.

And shold something like that again trouble you, jut PM me, or th friend you got help from.

I'm only sorry that I missed thrad before now

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III View Post
              Hi again everone who cares.
              So, I went to see a doctor, who prescribed me a "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor" early in January. After some 10 days, my mood got better.
              The placebo effect.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well done and welcome back, sir!
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

"An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

IMO, depression is something you definitely need professional help with. There's a lot of different meds they can prescribe for you if some don't work. Also, studies have shown the magic mushrooms cure depression. Have you tried them lately?
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                    X