X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 years after

A bit of historical perspective from Feb 2003:
    White House won't talk about cost

Administration officials have occasionally hazarded guesses about the costs, but the administration has been quick to distance itself from those guesses.

In September 2002, former Bush economic adviser Larry Lindsey said war could cost between $100 billion and $200 billion, speculation that was immediately dismissed by White House Office of Management and Budget Director Mitch Daniels.

Daniels himself said in December that war could cost between $50 billion and $60 billion, but quickly clarified that it was impossible to tell how much the war might cost and that he was simply trying to compare a new war with its only close historical precedent, the first Gulf War, which cost about $60 billion.

Centre for Strategic and International Studies at the same time:

Economic impact

The costs of winning the peace may actually turn out to be a greater concern than the one time cost of winning the war

A big hike in the oil price, and a long war which prolonged economic uncertainty, could have a big negative impact on the US economy.

Although it finds this worst case scenario unlikely, the CSIS suggests that if it occurred it could drive the US into a recession, increase unemployment and the budget deficit.

That would only occur if the oil price stayed substantially above its current level for at least one year.

ehhhh... and today...almost 6 years after

The Federal Reserve may today reduce its main interest rate to the lowest level on record and prepare for one of the boldest experiments in its 94-year history: using its balance sheet as the key tool for monetary policy.

The Fed’s Open Market Committee will probably cut the benchmark rate in half, to 0.5 percent, according to the median of 84 forecasts in a Bloomberg News survey. The central bank may also signal plans to channel credit to businesses and consumers by further enlarging its $2.26 trillion of assets.

Chairman Ben S. Bernanke plans new steps to combat the credit crunch and prevent the worst recession in a quarter century from turning into a depression.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...e same time...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. military operations, including the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, have cost $904 billion since 2001 and could top $1.7 trillion by 2018, even with big cuts in overseas troop deployments, a report said on Monday.

A new study released by the nonpartisan Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, or CSBA, said the Iraq conflict's $687 billion price tag alone now exceeds the cost of every past U.S. war except for World War II, when expenditures are adjusted for inflation.

With another $184 billion in spending for Afghanistan included, the two conflicts surpass the cost of the Vietnam War by about 50 percent, the report said.

CSBA said U.S. military operations have already reached $904 billion since 2001, including the two wars as well as stepped-up military security activities at home and the payout in war-related veterans' benefits. The estimate includes allocated spending into 2009.

and what would Bush say?

The Post: In Iraq, there's been a steady stream of surprises. We weren't welcomed as liberators, as Vice President Cheney had talked about. We haven't found the weapons of mass destruction as predicted. The postwar process hasn't gone as well as some had hoped. Why hasn't anyone been held accountable, either through firings or demotions, for what some people see as mistakes or misjudgments?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, we had an accountability moment, and that's called the 2004 election. And the American people listened to different assessments made about what was taking place in Iraq, and they looked at the two candidates, and chose me, for which I'm grateful.

USA!

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Kiss off.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

repetitio est mater studiorum

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
        repetitio est mater studiorum

Repetion is mother of studies? Yay, I speak hispanolics!
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

In my opinion, the cost of GW I and GW II should be combined. Bush the elder committed the US to a course of action that eventually resulted in the combined expenditures.

This accentuates the inherent unpredictability of war expenditures. Immediately after GW I, the US thought erroneously thought it was getting a good deal on the conflict. The actions taken in GW I proved to be penny wise and pound foolish.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why not throw "Give me head" Clinton in there?
            He shut down bases and ignored all for 8 years.
            Anything will cost more than nothing.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              In my opinion, the cost of GW I and GW II should be combined. Bush the elder committed the US to a course of action that eventually resulted in the combined expenditures.
              This is complete nonsense. Are you claiming that GWII was INEVITABLE?
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't see how GHWB committed us to Gulf War II. I do think you can argue that he committed us to some sort of containment scheme (which was far from ideal, it's true).

Why not throw "Give me head" Clinton in there?
                He shut down bases and ignored all for 8 years.
                Still not Shakespeare.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I think he is saying that following our decision to go to war originally, we turned an ally into an enemy, and our continued enforcement of the no-fly-zone, for example, committed us to at least an ongoing armed confrontation.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

I don't see how GHWB committed us to Gulf War II. I do think you can argue that he committed us to some sort of containment scheme (which was far from ideal, it's true).
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      I don't see how GHWB committed us to Gulf War II. I do think you can argue that he committed us to some sort of containment scheme (which was far from ideal, it's true)
                      The containment scheme in place was ineffectual. It was running on diplomatic fumes at the end of the Clinton years, even in its ineffectual state.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I agree the containment scheme wasn't great (particularly, IMO, because of the no-fly zone, which was a stupid half-assed measure). But, as the results of GWII demonstrate, it was actually reasonably effective.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          This is complete nonsense. Are you claiming that GWII was INEVITABLE?
                          Something close to it. Iraq was broken in GW I, so, as Colin Powell would say, we owned the place.

Comment

Since when are you interested in nationbuilding, Dan?

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Says the guy who opposes a little higher taxes for programs for the betterment of our own country.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X