Legolas: the nerfing of the Fellowship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legolas: the nerfing of the Fellowship

Because we needed more nerdy threads around here.

I've been rereading the history of Middle-Earth lately. Just finished the Council of Elrond, and I have to wonder, why was Legolas chosen?

So, Elrond wants there to be nine members for some reason. Frodo's the fellow who offered to take responsibility for the ring, and Sam can't be parted from him. Plus Sam proves to be an essential back-up ringbearer. Fine. Gandalf, as a Maia, trumps everyone else in the Fellowship on the Tolkien Asswhoopometer, so he's an obvious choice. Aragorn is the best representative to send for humans, plus he's got business in the region anyway. Boromir, well, Boromir isn't too useful, but he's essential to the plot so we'll overlook that. Merry and Pippin are in because they refuse to be left out, and as it turns out they're useful because they bring the Ents into the fight and Merry helps off the Witch-King.

For the last two, Elrond wants representatives of all the Free Peoples. I guess that's laudable, though it's kind of odd that the weaker races get much more picks proportionately. I'd have sent another dwarf instead of Boromir, at the least, since they're tough and more resistant to the lure of the Ring than anybody but the hobbits. But there are only two slots, and Gimli is as good a choice as any for the dwarves. The only other dwarf that's named as present is his father Gloin, who's a bit over the hill.

But for the elves they send...Legolas. Maybe I'm just biased by my distaste for Orlando Bloom, but why Legolas? It's not like they don't have plenty of elves to pick from, Rivendell is full of them. Legolas is basically the only elf available who is NOT an old friend of Elrond's, and apparently is the only moriquendi within like a hundred miles. For people who haven't read the Silmarillion intensively, Silvan Elves like Legolas are the bargain-basement of the elf world; widely available, but inferior. Sending Legolas with the Fellowship is like sending some guy who's second string for the Clippers as part of the Olympic basketball team. It makes no sense.

I'd have sent Glorfindel, who's already proven that he won't steal the ring even when its owner is completely in his power, and as a powerful Eldar has the ability to scare Nazgul and not fear them, which is gravy. Yes, Gandalf says, "even Glorfindel could not make a path for us by force," or something to that effect, but there's no good reason why an avari--and a young, unproven avari at that--is better than somebody who appears to have the blood of Finarfin in his veins.

I think Tolkien stuck Legolas in there to avoid overpowering the Fellowship. Gandalf and Glorfindel together could have pummeled the Balrog, especially if Glorfindel is in any way related to the Glorfindel who took out Gothmog. None of that self-sacrifice crap. Even if he hadn't, his presence after Gandalf's death would have kept Aragorn from feeling lost. Glorfindel, unlike Legolas, has been around a while and could give sound advice after Gandalf was gone. Pretty much any elf could have been of greater help than Legolas, who just came from Mirkwood and doesn't know diddly squat.

Fear my dorkitude.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Nerd.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Dork.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Legolas was clearly added to the books because it, or derivations of it, are the most popular elf names in MMORPGs.

Tolkien for ripping off WoW

Comment

Glorfindel had to stay and help defend Rivendell or something, and Elrond figured Legolas was expendable. He probably didn't want any more of those 2nd-class elves in Valinor than necessary. Legolas was the Leonardo DiCaprio of middle earth. Important to the story, but not enough lifeboats for you, sonny.

Elrond was a racist POS.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

especially if Glorfindel is in any way related to the Glorfindel who took out Gothmog.
            Glorfindel did indeed battle a balrog during the Fall of Gondolin, but it wasn't Gothmog. Gothmog was killed by Ecthelion in the same battle.

Fear my dorkitude.
            Why?

Comment

It was an Affirmative Action deal.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The most logical reason I can think of is that the need for secrecy of moment was paramount. The small size of the Fellowship shows that they were clearly sacrificing strength for stealth. Perhaps a being of being of Glorfindel's power would have been more easily detected by the enemy.

One would naturally counter that old Gandalf himself should logically be even more conspicuous but this could be countered by the Ring of Fire which Gandalf secretly possessed through the entire course of the Trilogy, unfortunately only one being could be concealed by that means. Glorfindel would simply have been on balance a negative if the loss of stealth outweighed the strength he would add to the Fellowship.

Legolas might have also benefited from a more 'Frontier' lifestyle of his 'uncivilized' ancestry, he could be of more use in a off-the-beaten-path journey focused on stealth.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

I'd have to agree with the position that Tolkien didn't want to wank the Fellowship.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

If Sauron knew what they were up to, they would never get anywhere close to the Mount Doom.

Comment

The should've taken Eagles instead of Boromir, Gimli and Legolas.
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

That would have been my solution. Eagles take them to mount doom and the story is over in 2 days.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Nerd fantasies.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Meh, never liked that box-shaped Famicom.

But Link does represent an elf quite well.
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

He's better than Merry and Pippen. And Boromir is there for good reason as young member of the existing human power structure.

Comment

Working...
                              X