Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Floyd

This surprises you?

My vote? Let's legalize gay marriage with all the benefits any other married couple has. Then, let's everyone shut the **** up about being gay. The only point "you people" (sorry, couldn't resist) have is the marriage issue, and frankly, you're right. Let's solve that, and then just go back to being people.

Any objections?
    When will straight people shut up about their sexual orientation?

Our other concern still is that we are still vulenerable to legal discrimination in employment and housing in many states in United States. And then there are states that discriminate against gays and lesbians with prohibitions against adoption.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It's history in the making.
      No, it's not. We had a gay president back in the 1860's.

Comment

no, that is not correct

it was 1850s

Comment

I agree with Drake about how dumb it is for homophobes to play identity politics by dividing people by sexual orientation and opposing equal civil rights, I have another thought.

Maybe this means that we should also condemn blacks who played identity politics during the 1950s and 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            I agree with Drake about how dumb it is for homophobes to play identity politics by dividing people by sexual orientation and opposing equal civil rights, I have another thought.

Maybe this means that we should also condemn blacks who played identity politics during the 1950s and 60s.
            You mean we could have had closet blacks in Administration before the 50's and 60's?

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Actually yes

Originally posted by Tuberski

You mean we could have had closet blacks in Administration before the 50's and 60's?

ACK!
              Quite a few "blacks" of mixed race origins were able to pass for white in segregationist areas/times.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!

To denigerate civil rights movements to merely a play on "identity politics" as Drake has done is dumb.

Comment

Denigerate? Is that politically correct?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                    denigerate
                    word of the day
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                      Clearly they're just house gays, ordered about by their heterosexual master.
                      Kinda like how you're a house fat person, and I'm a field fat person.
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

I'll help the uneducated here out.

denigrate: to speak damagingly of; criticize in a derogatory manner; sully; defame: to denigrate someone's character. (dictionary.com)

Comment

When will straight people shut up about their sexual orientation?
                          Ummm, what now? I missed the last straight pride parade, and my straight newsletter subscription expired, so I might be a little behind here, but gay people make far more an issue of their own sexual orientation than straight people do about theirs'.

And they rightly should, I think I made that clear. I'm all for legalizing gay marriage, because not doing so IS discriminatory. I'm just saying, after we do that, would the gay community please stop trumpeting the fact that they are gay from the rooftops, and stop demanding that gays be appointed to various positions in the name of diversity? We shouldn't talk about gay, black, female, Hispanic, or whatever. We should just talk about "qualified", with the proviso that a private company should be able to hire whomever they want.
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

gay people make far more an issue of their own sexual orientation than straight people do about theirs'

Um... all of the "Men's Magazines" at the local Barnes and Noble and PDA of heterosexual couples would seem to beg to differ.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No, all PDA makes an issue of is the fact that there is a relationship. You think that two people making out in public are doing so to highlight their sexual orientation?

And I'm not talking about PDA or gay magazines for sale or whatever when I'm referring to gay people making an issue of being gay. What I'm talking about is the OP of this thread - that someone was appointed to the Obama Administration, and instead of discussing his qualifications, we are discussing his sexual orientation. Who the **** cares?
                              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

PDA Straight or gay. What two people making out in public are highlighting is their insecurity (or drunkeness).

Anyway, Floyd's right here. As is Drake. Identity politics is tiresome.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X