We is moving up the food chain baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We is moving up the food chain baby!

So I was out bar hopping last night and just before I went down the escalator back to the metro on my way back home later, I grabbed the latest issue of the Washington Blade newspaper.

President-elect Barack Obama has named his first openly gay senior administration staffer - Nancy Sutley, a lesbian who will serve as head of White House Council on Environmental Quality.

Plus, Obama's team is considering additional openly gay officials. One is John Berry, who is being vetted for Secretary of Interior. And last week at least, Obama considered Mary Beth Maxwell as possibly serving as Labor Secretary.

Not only this, but for the inaugural event itself, The Lesbian & Gay Association will be the first gay contigent ever chosen to participate in a presidential inaugural parade. In 1993 and 1997 they had participated off to the sidelines for Clinton but with Obama's inaugural parade they will be much more visible.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Token gay in worthless post.

He just did it so he can make gay jokes
    Monkey!!!

Comment

If he really wanted to make a statement, he'd appoint
      Larry Craig.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

76 viewers and two posts - I can tell you guys are so excited about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
          If he really wanted to make a statement, he'd appoint
          Larry Craig.

Secretary of Bathroom Security
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            Well, I was going to refrain from saying this, but now that you insist, it seems to me that these appointments are canaries in the White House coal mine. Obama knows that most of the people who'd like to put a bullet through his brain are even more outraged at the thought of being ordered around by them queers. If they get shot he knows he has to beef up security without getting killed himself. Simple.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

We are not interested in eating gay people. We prefer to keep beef, chicken, and the sort at the top of the food chain. k thx.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Post of the month...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Well, I was going to refrain from saying this, but now that you insist, it seems to me that these appointments are canaries in the White House coal mine. Obama knows that most of the people who'd like to put a bullet through his brain are even more outraged at the thought of being ordered around by them queers. If they get shot he knows he has to beef up security without getting killed himself. Simple.
                  So what if the posts given are not as spectacular as say, Secretary of State? The fact that there will be at least one openly gay person serving in the administration at all, is a step forward.

Comment

We don't want to give the impression that we're excited by top positions being filled by gay people.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Who ****ing cares if they're gay or not? God, identity politics is so tiresome...

Comment

This surprises you?

My vote? Let's legalize gay marriage with all the benefits any other married couple has. Then, let's everyone shut the **** up about being gay. The only point "you people" (sorry, couldn't resist) have is the marriage issue, and frankly, you're right. Let's solve that, and then just go back to being people.

Any objections?
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                          Who ****ing cares if they're gay or not? God, identity politics is so tiresome...
                          QFT
                          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Clearly they're just house gays, ordered about by their heterosexual master.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                              It's history in the making. Individuals of a minority group that faces discrimination in other areas of society are now being appointed to serve in administrative positions under the next president.

Just as it was history in the making when individuals of other minority groups reached significant milestones.

But you're right - people who oppose equal rights protection for gays and lesbians need to stop dividing people by sexual orientation and stop playing identity politics.

Comment

Working...
                              X