No announcement yet.

Executive pay and corporate governance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another area where the interests of shareholders are not being adequately considered is in advertising and promotions. The rationale for most advertising and promotion seems vague. See, e.g., the electric company putting its name on the side of a local stadium, major companies buying suites inside the stadium, etc. Executives want to feel important in their community and to act like corporate titans.

This is an area where GOOG shines, by the way.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Bump
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        One area where shareholders' interests are not being adequately considered is in M&A activities. It has long been known/thought that most M&A activity is a detriment to the buying company's shareholder value (would be interested in hearing information otherwise, though). Yet M&A activity continues apace.
        We'll never know this 100% sure. The old KPMG and other studies can't compare their findings with alternate universes where deals under investigation DID NOT happen. (But you could call me biased.)

What is definitely certain that SOME M&A makes no sense at all, while some M&A that could make sense doesn't get done.

I think Icahn's blog is a good read on the OP subject matter.
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

What would be the criteria for M&A that serves the shareholder's interest?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

NPV>0

Comment

Do companies often do deals where they think NPV<0?

Comment

Orphan drugs
                Monkey!!!

Comment

"strategic acquisitions"

Actually even individuals just doing deals have an incentive to get deals done. (But conversely, if you don't incentivize them, you'll never overcome inertia to make any moves.)

Comment

Do companies often do deals where they think NPV<0?
                    No but they delude themselves into thinking that NPV>0.
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Another area where the interests of shareholders are not being adequately considered is in advertising and promotions. The rationale for most advertising and promotion seems vague. See, e.g., the electric company putting its name on the side of a local stadium, major companies buying suites inside the stadium, etc. Executives want to feel important in their community and to act like corporate titans.

This is an area where GOOG shines, by the way.
                      Buying suites in a stadium is terrific.

You can reward your best employees, and you can meet your business partners in informal contexts.

I've seen investment advisors who spend a huge part of their time playing golf with their clients. They say building ties with people is a major business necessity.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        The online office software is much more reasonable than OS online.
                        Sure, but the idea is that if you can do almost everything you need to with a browser, it matters much less which OS you're running. So basically we're not strictly speaking of an online OS.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                        X