Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Parliamentary Crisis III

Previous: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=182298
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Woo, is this the first CanPol thread to make it past 1000 posts?
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You are correct that there was no direct precedent for the prorogue. But as I stated, the relevant precedent was that the PM has enormous latitude in scheduling issues. When it comes to disallowing elections very shortly after other elections when there is a reasonable chance that Commons will give its confidence to another government there are very strong precedents.

I'm actually impressed with how she has performed so far. She is taking her role as a neutral mediator quite seriously. Were she to go nuts and grant a new election in January I would be very surprised.

Is there a precedent for the Governor General calling an election in the case of a no-confidence vote?

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

From the last thread -

Originally posted by Asher

Not everyone agrees with you that there was a precedent for proroguing parliament the way she did.

Most would disagree, actually.
        I haven't heard a precedent for it.

I agree with Asher. If there is a non-confidence vote at the end of January with Iggy at the helm of the Liberals we are in for a new election. The passage of another couple months and the Liberal change of leadership will require one. This isn't a retiring PM passing off the role to an underling so an election can be fought relatively soon (the Martin and Campbell examples).

That said, there won't be a successful non-confidence vote. Iggy was cool to the idea of the coalition and I think the entire idea is dead now.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I think he needs to keep the idea alive enough to keep Harper in line, no more, no less.
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Sure, keeping the fear in Harper would be a good thing but I suspect we are in for another bout of Liberals missing votes.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
              From the last thread -

I haven't heard a precedent for it.

I agree with Asher. If there is a non-confidence vote at the end of January with Iggy at the helm of the Liberals we are in for a new election. The passage of another couple months and the Liberal change of leadership will require one. This isn't a retiring PM passing off the role to an underling so an election can be fought relatively soon (the Martin and Campbell examples).

That said, there won't be a successful non-confidence vote. Iggy was cool to the idea of the coalition and I think the entire idea is dead now.
              I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Is there a precedent for the Governor General calling an election in the case of a no-confidence vote?

Not when there is a reasonable chance of a freshly-elected Commons granting confidence to a new government.

Ever.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I agree with Asher. If there is a non-confidence vote at the end of January with Iggy at the helm of the Liberals we are in for a new election

Would you like to take the bet I offered Asher? You put up 400$, I put up 100$.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not when there is a reasonable chance of a freshly-elected Commons granting confidence to a new government.

Ever.
                    This is an unprecedented turn of events that will not reply on precedent.

There was no precedent for her proroguing call, there will be none when she calls an election in January in the event of no-confidence vote. So be it.

This is all new territory.

Comment

This is an unprecedented turn of events that will not reply on precedent.

Nonsense.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I agree with Asher. If there is a non-confidence vote at the end of January with Iggy at the helm of the Liberals we are in for a new election

Would you like to take the bet I offered Asher? You put up 400$, I put up 100$.

There's no way I'm betting on something like this, ever. I've no faith in our system.

Comment

So you're willing to make ironclad predictions but unwilling to put your money where your mouth is?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nonsense.
                            Can you think of a precedent involving giving a separatist party veto power for the federal government at a time when public opinion is soundly against the idea?

Comment

So you're willing to make ironclad predictions but unwilling to put your money where your mouth is?
                              Correct.

Anyone who bets money on Canadian Politics has a few screws loose. The people are almost universally stupid with no integrity, there's no telling what they will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X