Drunk and doing statistical mechanics problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpencerH
    I was wondering what "statistical mechanics" was, so I opened up the PDF. It looks like basic thermodynamics and newtonian-type stuff ie memorize a few formulae then rearrange to get the answer (not that I could do it now).
    That test is very heavily oriented to classical thermo, yes (first half of course). Only true stat mech question is #3 and that one is almost trivial.

That's part of why it's so easy. This test

With its world-renowned faculty and state-of-the-art facilities, the William H. Miller III Department of Physics and Astronomy combines the best aspects of a top research university with the more intimate learning environment typical of small liberal arts colleges.

is much more oriented towards stat mech
    Last edited by KrazyHorse; December 7, 2008, 14:02.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
      Hated my thermo/stat mech class as an undergrad. The book was awful ('specially the thermo section). Turned out I've mostly been doing nonequilibrium thermo for the past year...
      Which book? I love Reif. Everybody else hates it.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
        ****s sake KH, I can do some of those questions and I'm only a ****ty chemist. 1, 2, 3 a+b aren't that bad...
        Yeah, I know. It's ridiculous.

The 2004 exam is much more reasonable. Still very short for a 3 hour exam as well as being fairly straightforward.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I can't remember how to do any of that stuff. Guess I never learned it well enough to sink in.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Which book? I love Reif. Everybody else hates it.
            Carter
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
            X