Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    **** it
    It seems like Kitty helped you analyze things. I think you knew that it woujld not help you career wise, but that you are a bit bored and are looking for some additional challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I hate homework. My TA's always want me to write about 3-5x as long proofs
      Homework is a gift and corrected homework is a double gift. We should not think so much of burdens or revenge or the like but of useful training as in a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
        I was wondering what "statistical mechanics" was, so I opened up the PDF. It looks like basic thermodynamics and newtonian-type stuff ie memorize a few formulae then rearrange to get the answer (not that I could do it now).
        It looks like mostly classical engineering thermo. Missing some Mollier and the Rankine cycle of course.

Comment

I can't do any of the questions on that test

OTOH, I haven't taken any physics since AP in high school

Comment

Hated my thermo/stat mech class as an undergrad. The book was awful ('specially the thermo section). Turned out I've mostly been doing nonequilibrium thermo for the past year...
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
              Hated my thermo/stat mech class as an undergrad. The book was awful ('specially the thermo section). Turned out I've mostly been doing nonequilibrium thermo for the past year...
              Maybe if you'd had more straightforward graduated learning, you'd have liked it more. The problem is that professors just want to be cute when writing or teaching, instead of really thinking like real teachers. Best thing about my undergrad was that it was like high school. No TAs. Small class sizes. Turned in and graded homework. Lots of quizzes and such. Mandatory recitation and doing problems on blackboard and being called on in class and all that. Required to go to every class or lose several weekends liberty. Professors always available for questions after school. (none of this office hour crap). Actually it was better since they would all give home number and say call until 2300.

Comment

KH reminds me of my brother. My brother gets...tipsy, and thinks he's witty. Calls everyone on his phone.
                KH posts here, and screws up his problems.
                What a brother of the travelling dorkhood.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Best thing about my undergrad was that it was like high school. No TAs. Small class sizes. Turned in and graded homework. Lots of quizzes and such. Mandatory recitation

I would kill myself

Comment

Yup, that isn't a (traditional) university education...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

To be fair, he didn't exactly go to a normal university.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                        Yup, that isn't a (traditional) university education...
                        I went to trade school. Better pedagogy.

Comment

Comment

's true. I think US undergrad universities are miserable places in terms of training/teaching. Very inefficient. Especially for the average student.

Comment

I was laughing at calling it a "trade school".

Comment

I can't really comment on what crappy unis are like considering I've never been to one...
                                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X