Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Supreme Court take case on Obama's citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Supreme Court take case on Obama's citizenship?

CHICAGO — The U.S. Supreme Court will consider Friday whether to take up a lawsuit challenging President-elect Barack Obama's U.S. citizenship, a continuation of a New Jersey case embraced by some opponents of Obama's election.

The meeting of justices will coincide with a vigil by the filer's supporters in Washington on the steps of the nation's highest court.

The suit originally sought to stay the election, and was filed on behalf of Leo Donofrio against New Jersey Secretary of State Nina Mitchell Wells.

Legal experts say the appeal has little chance of succeeding, despite appearing on the court's schedule. Legal records show it is only the tip of an iceberg of nationwide efforts seeking to derail Obama's election over accusations that he either wasn't born a U.S. citizen or that he later renounced his citizenship in Indonesia.

The Obama campaign has maintained that he was born in Hawaii, has an authentic birth certificate, and is a "natural-born" U.S. citizen. Hawaiian officials agree.

Among those filing lawsuits is Alan Keyes, who lost to Obama in the 2004 Illinois Senate race. Keyes' suit seeks to halt certification of votes in California. Another suit by a Kentucky man seeks to have a federal judge review Obama's original birth certificate, which Hawaiian officials say is locked in a state vault.

Other suits have been filed by Andy Martin, whose case was dismissed in Hawaii, and by an Ohio man whose case also was dismissed. Five more suits, all later dismissed, were filed in Hawaii by a person who is currently suing the "Peoples Association of Human, Animals Conceived God/s and Religions, John McCain (and) USA Govt." The plaintiff previously sought to sue Wikipedia and "All News Media."

The most famous case questioning Obama's citizenship was filed in Pennsylvania in August on behalf of Philip J. Berg and sought to enjoin the Democratic National Committee from nominating Obama. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to accept the case. Earlier, a federal judge rejected it for "lack of standing" — ruling that Berg had no legal right to sue. In cases like this, judges sometimes believe the matter is best left to political institutions, such as the Electoral College or Congress, said legal scholar Eugene Volokh of the University of California at Los Angeles.

The remaining case with the highest profile is Donofrio vs. Wells. Because it was distributed by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to other justices for conference, it gained undue importance for people unschooled in how the court works, Volokh said.

Many petitioners seeking stays of pending events have their cases distributed to the full court, he said. Of those, Volokh found that 782 were denied in the last eight years while just 60 were heard — and not all of those ultimately were successful.

Odd that if he is U.S. citizen the SC would be even having to make a ruling.

Five more suits, all later dismissed, were filed in Hawaii by a person who is currently suing the "Peoples Association of Human, Animals Conceived God/s and Religions, John McCain (and) USA Govt."

At least he is covering most of the bases.

OP = No.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

No.

Better chance of derailing McCain's qualifications for the office.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Why did Justice Thomas feel the need to waste the court's time (any of it) with this ****?
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: Will Supreme Court take case on Obama's citizenship?

Originally posted by Docfeelgood

"We hope that issuing certified copies of the original Certificate of Live Birth to President Obama will end the numerous inquiries related to his birth in Hawaii," Hawaii Health Director Loretta Fuddy said.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
            No.

Yep - McCain is a foreigner.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Not that I take any of this seriously, but why the hell didn't the lower courts dispose of this more quickly? If there's anything that traditionally gets fast-tracked by the court clerk it's things related to elections, whether they be fraud, disenfranchisement, recounts, etc., because there is such an obvious deadline. If these cases were filed back in October, why are the appeals extending a month past the election? All it would have taken is either a TRO ordering immediate turnover of the certificate for expert examination, or a denial of the TRO and a fast-tracked interlocutory appeal, either of which could have been wrapped up inside 24-48 hours. Why leave everything until after a landslide election, when a ruling adverse to the victor (not that it's probable here) would have no legitimacy?
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Re: Will Supreme Court take case on Obama's citizenship?

Originally posted by Docfeelgood
                Did you read the article you posted. The article does NOT say that the Supremes will hear the case.

The case that is mentioned is one of those frivolous law suits that conservatives are always complaining about.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  Why did Justice Thomas feel the need to waste the court's time (any of it) with this ****?
                  I see this as a high-end version of forwarding joke emails ... he saw this, and figured R B-G needed something to make her laugh a bit, so passed it on.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                    He isn't, this is standard procedure for the SCOTUS. He was the second justice petitioned for this, the first having been Souter, I believe, who denied it. If Thomas had denied it like Souter did, they could have just taken it to another justice and waste his/her time.

Thomas is saving the court the trouble by kicking it to a full review, wherein it will be summarily laughed at and sent on its way.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                      No.
                      Note, some wingnuts were going to try the "treason" ploy if McCain had won based on his time in NVN. No basis for this, but some folks are just haters. Other haters take aim at Obama, with just as much reality on their side.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Most of these filers are cranks, but why doesn't Hawaii just pull out the original certificate out of the vault on video, show everyone that its there and just put this to rest?
                        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

or that he later renounced his citizenship in Indonesia.
                          Hadn't heard this one before, its at least original and a step above the tin-hat "his birth certificate is forged!" claims but how could this even remotely stand up in court as an argument if Obama isn't of legal age during the brief time he lived in Indonesia.
                          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]

Hadn't heard this one before, its at least original and a step above the tin-hat "his birth certificate is forged!" claims but how could this even remotely stand up in court as an argument if Obama isn't of legal age during the brief time he lived in Indonesia.
                            Stop thinking.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

I'm not saying I believe her, but there is a video of his Kenyan grandmother saying she saw him born in Kenya. I believe that is at least part of the basis for one of these suits.

Comment

Working...
                              X