Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Canadian University Political Correctness Run Amok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher

In Canada you are screened before you give to see if you are eligible. Is the US system so monumentally retarded that they take the blood and then ask you the questions which determine if they can use it?
    That was the reason for my comment. Why take the donation if you have no intention of using it (and why donate)?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Then why would you give blood (if you know it isn't acceptable)? Social activity?
      So they don't have to explain to people that they have AIDS. Or whatever.

You pretend like it is different, but it is not.

It is not a law, it's a rule by the blood collection agencies that both the US and Canada follows: gay men cannot donate blood.
      It is different in that you wouldn't be made a public exeption and have to "explain yourself" as you say if you don't want to.

That was the reason for my comment. Why take the donation if you have no intention of using it (and why donate)?
      No, they pre-screen you before hand and then take your blood regardless. The screening is for them to decide whether or not to use your blood, not whether or not they will allow you to donate.

So people are not ostresized. Or so they don't have to unwittingly disclose a health problem in part by being seen not to donate.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

No, they pre-screen you before hand and then take your blood regardless. The screening is for them to decide whether or not to use your blood, not whether or not they will allow you to donate.
        That is retarded.

So people are not ostresized. Or so they don't have to unwittingly disclose a health problem in part by being seen not to donate.
        I don't donate and nobody suspects me of having a communicable disease.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

So they don't have to explain to people that they have AIDS. Or whatever.

It is different in that you wouldn't be made a public exeption and have to "explain yourself" as you say if you don't want to.
          That's not how it was when I was in the states. They very clearly have you fill out a form before you give blood.

Do you have a link to this policy? Because it certainly isn't national, and it strikes me as insanely stupid which, in turns, leads me to believe it is a southern US policy...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Here, they ask you various questions, and let you know that your answers will allow or disallow the blood being used. I think that they would, in theory, allow you to donate if you wanted to anyway, they just wouldn't use the blood afterwards - but at least they do tell you that it won't be permitted.

The blood rules are a bit annoying, but they are understandable from the RC's point of view - they cannot take the chance of blood being dangerous, and cannot guarantee that their tests will show up things like AIDS and Hep C 100% of the time - there are something like 0.1% false negatives, which means a relatively high likelihood of someone getting an infected sample when you consider the millions of blood donations. The place where I've given blood before, they ask you as well whether you have had many female partners (and exclude you as well based on that), though I don't recall the specific exclusion criteria.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Here, they ask you various questions, and let you know that your answers will allow or disallow the blood being used. I think that they would, in theory, allow you to donate if you wanted to anyway, they just wouldn't use the blood afterwards - but at least they do tell you that it won't be permitted.

The blood rules are a bit annoying, but they are understandable from the RC's point of view - they cannot take the chance of blood being dangerous
              It's impossible to not take the chance on the blood being dangerous...all blood has the potential to be dangerous.

and cannot guarantee that their tests will show up things like AIDS and Hep C 100% of the time - there are something like 0.1% false negatives, which means a relatively high likelihood of someone getting an infected sample when you consider the millions of blood donations.
              If they were serious about this, they'd ban African-Americans from donating for statistically higher incidences of HIV/AIDS.

That would be too blatant an act of discrimination, so instead they just keep ****ting on the gays.

FWIW, the real numbers are as follows:
              False negative: 0.003% chance (for the math challenged, this is massively smaller than 0.1).
              False positive: 0.0004%

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Now that I recall, they do ask if you've had sex with a man when you give blood.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

That's not how it was when I was in the states. They very clearly have you fill out a form before you give blood.
                  Nothing I said precludes you filling out a form beforehand.

Do you have a link to this policy? Because it certainly isn't national, and it strikes me as insanely stupid which, in turns, leads me to believe it is a southern US policy...
                  I experianced this during Red Cross drives in college and Army drives at work. The army drives make sense, because it would keep homosexuals from unwittingly outing themselves (and be considered "asking").

If you think it is stupid for people to have to lie about or unwanting declare why they can't give blood, thats your perogative. What it actually does is keep people form being peer pressured to donate AND the samples then having to be tested (expensively) to be discovered unusable.
                  Last edited by Patroklos; December 1, 2008, 14:22.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: More Canadian University Political Correctness Run Amok?

Originally posted by CrONoS

Recently, the student govt of Carleton University (not to be confused with Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota) voted to no longer support the Shine-a-rama fund-raising activity to support research into treatment of cystic fibrosis. Their reason? It's a disease that affects primarily white males. Here is a copy of their resolution, as reproduced by Jonathon Kay in The National Post:...

funny and sad. Show how low are university students.
                    Stop being a whining sissy about political correctness. Man up.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
                      Now that I recall, they do ask if you've had sex with a man when you give blood.
                      I've been giving regularly... the question, as I recall, is "since 1977, have you had sexual contact with another male, even once?"

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If you think it is stupid for people to have to lie about or unwanting declare why they can't give blood, thats your perogative. What it actually does is keep people form being peer pressured to donate AND the samples then having to be tested (expensively) to be discovered unusable.
                        So they don't test donated blood? They take the word of the donor that everything is okay? I doubt it.

Comment

In Canada, IIRC, it's "in the past 5 years, have you hsex sexual contact with another male?" or something similar.

Comment

Re: Re: More Canadian University Political Correctness Run Amok?

Originally posted by MrFun
                            Stop being a whining sissy about political correctness. Man up.
                            I'm with MrFun on this. CrONoS, you need to go buy yourself a shotgun and take care of this.

As far as the Red Cross screening the blood and everything, yeah, it's pretty stupid to exclude gays. I don't think those rules have changed in the past 20 years.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

So they don't test donated blood? They take the word of the donor that everything is okay? I doubt it.
                              No. If you donate and disqualify yourself (either through the screening or the sticker I mentioned), they just toss it without wasting time testing it.

Comment

No. If you donate and disqualify yourself (either through the screening or the sticker I mentioned), they just toss it without wasting time testing it.
                                - All blood is tested. If it isn't, the US is worse than most third world countries.
                                - "waste time" testing it? Why would it be a waste of time when 99.999% of them will be HIV free?

Comment

Working...
                                X