Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Canadian University Political Correctness Run Amok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos

No. If you donate and disqualify yourself (either through the screening or the sticker I mentioned), they just toss it without wasting time testing it.
    So if I don't disqualify myself they will take my blood and use it without testing it first? I still call BS.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

- All blood is tested. If it isn't, the US is worse than most third world countries.
      Why would you test blood you are going to throw out anyway? Its simply discarded.

- "waste time" testing it? Why would it be a waste of time when 99.999% of them will be HIV free?
      Because you just told them it doesn't meet their standards for whatever reason. If you tell someone not to use your blood they are not going to use it (even if it actually is perfectly fine).
      Last edited by Patroklos; December 1, 2008, 15:41.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
        Why would you test blood you are going to throw out anyway? Its simply discarded.
        Why would you draw blood you are going to throw out anyway?

Because you just told them it doesn't meet their standards for whatever reason. If you tell someone not to use your blood they are not going to use it.
        Your wording was poor. They wouldn't "waste time" testing it, because the VAST VAST majority is perfectly good, in-demand blood...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Apparently, the Red Cross believes that blood testing works differently on straight people than it does on gays (that blood testing can screen blood for safeness on straight people, but not when it comes to testing gays).
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

But apparently they don't test "safe" blood Mr. Fun.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Everyone's blood should be tested without having to ask for any person's sexual orientation.

Comment

Everyone's blood IS tested, and they discard "gay blood" due to statistically higher HIV infections. Even though, as I said, if we played this game African-Americans would also be banned from donating.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Mr. Fun -

Any donated blood should be tested. I'm surprised this isn't being done as a matter of course.

However, if you are going to do screening for risk factors (I understand your argument about accepting all donors) then it is just plain stupid to rule someone ineligible but draw their blood anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    Everyone's blood IS tested, and they discard "gay blood" due to statistically higher HIV infections. Even though, as I said, if we played this game African-Americans would also be banned from donating.

Yep, good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                      it is just plain stupid to rule someone ineligible but draw their blood anyway.
                      I agree. Just test everyone's blood sample before drawing a full amount for donation without any discrimination.

Comment

Why would you draw blood you are going to throw out anyway?
                        Because of the risk of disclosure (if after the prescreening) or because you don't know you are going to throw it away (sticker).

Your wording was poor. They wouldn't "waste time" testing it, because the VAST VAST majority is perfectly good, in-demand blood...
                        They test all blood with any chance of being used. If the blood isn't going to be used regardless, it is indeed a waste of time to check it.

Unless you are suggesting someone would donate perfectly fine blood and then out of malice tell the Red Cross not to use it.

Apparently, the Red Cross believes that blood testing works differently on straight people than it does on gays (that blood testing can screen blood for safeness on straight people, but not when it comes to testing gays).
                        Nothing about their method suggests this at all.

Everyone's blood should be tested without having to ask for any person's sexual orientation.
                        Your making false connections. The reason they do it that way (and I see perfectly well Asher's point that hurting someone's feelings may not be enough justification for drawing everyone's blood regardless) is so that anyone not wanting to disclose their inability to donate acceptable blood can do so, whatever that reason.

I agree. Just test everyone's blood sample before drawing a full amount for donation without any discrimination.

We have enough trouble getting people to submit for drawings once, now you want to count on them to come by twice? Or are you suggesting we have mobile labratories and keep people in the chairs for how many hours it takes to run the tests?
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

So why don't they just bar black people from donating blood as well? If you think concerns about discrimination is something trivial like "hurting people's feelings" blacks should man up if we bar them from donating.

As for the methodology of drawing the blood for testing, I'm not sure what would be the best way to go about this.

Comment

We took blood collection duties away from the Red Cross years ago b/c they weren't testing for bad stuff. I can't believe you guys would still be using untested blood.

Comment

So why don't they just bar black people from donating blood as well? If you think concerns about discrimination is something trivial like "hurting people's feelings" blacks should man up if we bar them from donating.
                              When did I become an advocate of the "are you gay" question? The policy is in place for you to apply to ANY of the disqualifying parameters. I am not supporting or attacking any of those parameters in this thread.

We took blood collection duties away from the Red Cross years ago b/c they weren't testing for bad stuff. I can't believe you guys would still be using untested blood.
                              Who is using untested blood?

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                                I didn't realize United States allows for the use of untested blood.

Comment

Working...
                                X