Google is full of evil censoring bastards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google is full of evil censoring bastards

“To love Google, you have to be a little bit of a monarchist, you have to have faith in the way people traditionally felt about the king,” Tim Wu, a Columbia law professor and a former scholar in residence at Google, told me recently. “One reason they’re good at the moment is they live and die on trust, and as soon as you lose trust in Google, it’s over for them.” Google’s claim on our trust is a fragile thing. After all, it’s hard to be a company whose mission is to give people all the information they want and to insist at the same time on deciding what information they get.

What's better?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Google is full of evil censoring bastards

Originally posted by TCO
      After all, it’s hard to be a company whose mission is to give people all the information they want and to insist at the same time on deciding what information they get.
      that's total BS. google gives you all 45,323,413 results for your query. it's in your hand to check them all out or not.
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Did you read the story, slacker?

Comment

6 pages?! Be serious.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I like this sentence

"The responsibility for balancing these and other competing concerns about the controversial content fell to Wong, whose colleagues jokingly call her “the Decider,” after George W. Bush’s folksy self-description."
            What?

Comment

Sounds like Turkey is full of evil censoring bastards. Of course, I only read the beginning of the article, but I still feel qualified to comment.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

This is an interesting topic, but I think that the article was a little lacking. Google and the NY Times are looking at the issue too narrowly in my view.

In the United States, our trust in Google is impacted by the censorship that it carries out at the behest of the Pakistani, Chinese, and Thai governments. The Google brand means free speech to me. Who is the more important customer? The US is correctly fundamentalist when it comes to free speech, and we are the most important customers for Google. It seems to me that these criteria are entirely lacking in Google's removal process for other countries (that is a bad process besides).
                Last edited by DanS; December 1, 2008, 13:10.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  In the United States, our trust in Google is impacted by the censorship that it carries out at the behest of the Pakistani, Chinese, and Thai governments.
                  Really? Our trust is impacted by that?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Mine is. Maybe it wouldn't be impacted, if I didn't know about it. The New York Times would have to stop writing about such things.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It impacts. When you see what is going on with Youtube, you start to see what pressures could be put on google, even in US.

Comment

Even things like the Lori Drew conviction. You start to see the end of the Wild West days of the internet (really over for a while) and see us becoming more like little pussies (that better not censor) from France and Germany.

Comment

We're going to see all sorts of this crap in the US once broadband is delivered primarily wirelessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
                            Really? Our trust is impacted by that?
                            QFT.

Are trust isn't impacted until similar stuff happens here... then we'll move on to another.

It's weird that when Yahoo or Google self censors because of Nazi stuff in Europe no one seems to really care all that much.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I had a good conversation about censorship with my best bud's uncle about it. He was on the censorship board of a certain third world country. They censored almost everything on TV and in the theaters.

Most countries have had censored media forever. It shouldn't have surprised Google that it would be an issue. Altogether, Google made a good purchase with YouTube, but I think that my ideals should be catered to rather than the ideals of the censorship boards of these countries.

Comment

Working...
                              X