Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Israili attack on the Liberty deliberate or mistaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardian - source on the ignore order and jail time?

Patty is correct. I read that after the initial attack round Israelis became concerned was a wrong i.d..

However, I read that during the first intermission, the liberty fired back on Israeli forces. This caused them to go on round 2 and 3 of fire on the american ship.

Comment

source on the firing back?

Comment

Big, loud (in terms of radio-transmitting) ship in the Med using American channels to transmit impressions of Israeli plans and actual unit movements to an indeterminant receiver. The Israelis do not like this behavior, as they may not be the only ones who can intercept and decrypt. In this time period, the US does not report or respond to other countries as related to US spy ships. The Egyptians tell the Israelis to go **** themselves when warned about this ship so the Israelis suspect the US ID is a fake. The initial engagement probably includes defensive fire so additional exchanges occur. Somebody on some channel shouts "Whoops," and the American ship survives.

That's about as much as we will know until at least 40 years after the event. Classified cables, incident reports, logs, and analytical reports all get reviewed for downgrade at either the 25, 40, or 50 year point based on regs. The time for release of some of this data may be soon. We've recently seen the release of Gulf of Tonkin (1964) stuff, so materials related to this attack/incident are probably under review right now.
        Last edited by Blaupanzer; December 3, 2008, 13:56.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          Guardian - source on the ignore order and jail time?
          Sorry, should have posted that right away. It was somewhere on the USS Liberty Memorial website - http://www.ussliberty.org - so yeah, I suppose the source is biased...
          "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
          -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Working...
          X