whatever happened to 200/barrel oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Japher
    $1.56 here, I'm rushing out to buy a Hummer. It's so cheap that I sometimes spray gas all over the pump when I'm done, just for fun!
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
      We could still get $200 a barrel oil next year. The Treasury and the Fed may have just enough oomph left for one more commodity spike.
      Longer term, it makes sense that oil has to go up well above the 50-60 range. There is far too much of the marginal potential production that requires prices in the 70s and 80s to be economic.

Recession and recession fears are leading to this downturn in oil prices but unless there is a fundamental long term change in consumption that survives the recession, the prices can and will go back up
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

A lot of the price hike was speculation, but with the economy busting worldwide . . .
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Long term contracts are in the 80 range. I wonder if you could construct some sort of arbitrage based on that much delta.

Comment

Folks outside the oil patch often forget that the business has been boom-bust from the first day of its existence. In my rather short lifetime there have been several severe, protracted busts. The bad times have overwhelmed the good times.

I'll admit that this last boom was much bigger than expected. All sorts of ill-considered notions about why this boom was different gained much more prevalence than we would wish.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I beleive that a LARGE component in oil pricing is the cartel, OPEC. To the extent that it functions well...prices go up...and the converse. Even, future expectations of how it will function affect the price. This is why the extreme volatility (our understanding of the geology is not as changeable as political factors). Thus, the apparently clear implication that the US WILL drill all over the East Coast if prices gets high, creates an expectation of future supply (or even the option of future supply) that has implications on OPECs ability to price, to enforce non-cheating, etc. This despite, the relatively small amounts...but because it is seen as the threat of production at the margin.

Comment

Before OPEC, the oil business was boom-bust. So I have a healthy dose of skepticism about OPEC's pricing power, although admittedly OPEC's weakness may be a result of the factors that you list. I noticed that there were significant non-OPEC finds as well.

At heart, I think the bubble burst because (1) demand contracted despite what was believed about price inelasticity of demand and (2) people woke up from the dream that we were running out of oil. There's so little to support this market from a fundamental viewpoint after these items have been set aside.
                Last edited by DanS; November 26, 2008, 14:00.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

perhaps a lot of the boom/bust in the past is related to cartels as well. Remember what Rockefeller said to his competitors, "You're not my enemy. The customer is my enemy."

Comment

Before Rockefeller, before any cartels, the oil business was boom-bust. God decreed it on the 8th day.

One thing I know about oil is that there has always been more of it than people think. Saudi Arabia always has a tough time fighting off marginal producers because of this fact. Not three years ago everybody would have laughed if they were told that Brazil and Cuba will be oil powers in the future. Or that we would be having a scrum over arctic oil and that the scrum had some real consequence.

What Flubber says about a long-term price floor based upon the price needed by marginal producers makes a lot of sense to me, especially since the capital expenditures are so large and the lead-time so long. But it seems that he's also wrong, at least until we get into the very long term. There has never been a price floor that I have observed except the cost of production in Saudi Arabia. I don't know why this is.
                    Last edited by DanS; November 26, 2008, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                      I'm really quite upset about this business, by the way.

Word is some of the gold may have to be removed from the pavement to continue funding day centres for poodles in Montreal.
                      What? Why do you have gold-encrusted pavements in montreal?
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Alberta
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

We want that.

Comment

And the day centers for poodles.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Having a province named Alberta is like having a province named Gertrude.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                                Having a province named Alberta is like having a province named Gertrude.
                                It was named after one of Queen Victoria's daughters.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X