Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
    Err, no. Morals are the same now and then
    Oh bull****. Is it moral today, in our society, to sell your own daughter into slavery? Is it immoral to shave?

There are loads of examples of Biblical morality that are no longer applicable today. Even several of the 10 Commandments are antiquated.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Oh bull****. Is it moral today, in our society, to sell your own daughter into slavery? Is it immoral to shave?

There are loads of examples of Biblical morality that are no longer applicable today. Even several of the 10 Commandments are antiquated.
      God finally someone who says this. Nobody pays attention when I try to point this out!!!
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Matthew 6 verse 5 explicitly states the reason for not praying in public, and it wasn't due to the threat of the Romans:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

The purpose of the prohibition is actually quite clear in this case: no showing off your piety in public to make yourself look good.
        Boris, you don't really believe that's the real reason do you? Just imagine the bigger picture. Christians are gaining popularity amongst the population that is losing traditional faith as well as a number of malcontents and some genuine people up for 'change'. However, in order to believe in Jebus and what not, you have to pledge allegiance to one God only (being teh emperor).

The early Christians realised this would be a problem so they avoided a confrontation between God and teh emperor. The whole issue only became an issue because some Christians refused to consider the emperor as a God, even though they pledged allegiance in every other way.

Pretty silly of those emperors in hindsight, but really it was more of a 'group sentiment' rather than that bible that influenced people. Don't take the bible for granted, please. You're making the same mistake those fundamentalists do.
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

I couldn't care less that some other church with the same description as yours somewhere have married gays.

I asked what you believed.
          I'm not sure what you're saying. Episcopalian churches are Episcoplaian churches. The church I go to doesn't perform gay marriages, they're not legal in this state, it would be pointless. Marriage is no longer simply a religious ceremony, it's not binding unless it's backed by a license issued by the local government. In fact a couple has to have the license first before the ceremnony can be performed.

If Proposition 8 had been on a Virginia referrendum or if I was living in California I would have voted against it.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• even if marriage WAS a religious ceremony at one point.... What does that mean for marriage between 2 atheists?

or what about those foreign marriages where religious ceremony has nothing to do with their cultural practice? (like china)
            :-p

Comment

• In fact a couple has to have the license first before the ceremnony can be performed.
              Is this a policy specific to the Episcopalian church?
              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

• That's probably state policy.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zevico

Is this a policy specific to the Episcopalian church?
                  It's state law, and I'm fairly sure that it's the same in all 50 states. Here in the US when a couple wants to get married they have to pick up a license from a local city or county office first. It prevents pervies from marrying kids and scam artists from marrying druinks, plus it helps the state keep track of marriages. Don't they do something similar in New Zealand?

I think there is some sort of penalty for marrying a couple in the absence of a state license, and the marriage wouldn't be legal.

Comment

• I'm too bored to read back in the thread. Were my trolls replied to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

It's state law, and I'm fairly sure that it's the same in all 50 states. Here in the US when a couple wants to get married they have to pick up a license from a local city or county office first. It prevents pervies from marrying kids and scam artists from marrying druinks, plus it helps the state keep track of marriages. Don't they do something similar in New Zealand?

I think there is some sort of penalty for marrying a couple in the absence of a state license, and the marriage wouldn't be legal.
                      Then what about those legendary Las Vegas marriages?
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera

Then what about those legendary Las Vegas marriages?
                        Perhaps Nevada is different. There are also quikie marriage joints in the tourist traps around Dollywood in Tennessee, so maybe Tennessee law is different too, or maybe the county government franchises the purchase of marriage licenses to the quikie marriage joints.

Comment

Working...
                        X