Possible cat ownership.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible cat ownership.

Anyway, I've been reading up on the basics of cat ownership and caring for pet cats online and have been seriously thinking whether or not I'm ready to become an owner of a couple of cats. I live in an apartment, and I think given my work scehdule and lifestyle, it would be better to have two cats rather than one so they always have a playmate.

Asher will be proud of me. I've changed my opinion on declawing after reading an online Humane Society article on why declawing should never be considered. After realizing how simple it is to control where cats scratch and the trauma declawing can be, I must say that now I'm no longer supportive of it.

So yesterday I looked around at my apartment to see what safety hazards are present that could cause harm to a cat. I looked at the bottom of my bed frame because I remember that I have sharp, exposed screws that hang out on the bottom. I'm concerned that these could injure a cat when it runs around and underneath my bed. Are there caps or something I can buy to cover the sharp ends? And I'm hoping that a cat would not be able to easily remove such caps.

Here is a picture to show what I'm talking about.

And although I will come to love whatever cats I choose to own, should I decide I'm ready for the responsibilities that go with cat ownership, I will never have a desire to marry them.
    Attached Files
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Why not just cut it off ? Your bed will probably continue functioning as usual.

Oh, and about your claim "whatever cats I choose to own" - well, you'll be wiser after a month or two
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      Why not just cut it off ? Your bed will probably continue functioning as usual.

Oh, and about your claim "whatever cats I choose to own" - well, you'll be wiser after a month or two
      Cut them off? I don't have any type of saw for cutting metal screws though.

And about who owns who, yeah when I came back to this thread to say that the cats will actually own me, you beat me to this.

Comment

Man up and snap it off with your bare hands.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Show me what laws of physics will give me the strength to do that.

Comment

Hey, you're a man - man handles tools, so get your arse down to your local toolpusher and get a saw that can do it

Oh, wait, you are gay, aren't you ? Sorry
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I'm heterosexually-challenged, not tool-challenged.

Comment

I think those'll be fine...
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I wouldn't worry about safety hazards too much. Cats are not ferrets, or even dogs; they generally are smart/instinctive/whatever enough to avoid killing themselves. I think this does not hold true for some extremely inbred varieties, but assuming you're not an ass, you'll be adopting them from a shelter anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have three cats, and an apartment that would have about 99.9% chance of killing a crawling baby if I were to have one around, and none of them have died yet, or even suffered any injuries significant enough to be noticed, in the last three or so years
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, but I guess that you also are lazy

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Asher, and Snoop but accidents can still happen even with intelligent cats.

Say two cats are playing with one another and running around the bed like crazy and wrestling with one another and one of them accidentally pokes itself with one of those screws. You don't see that ever happening?

Comment

I do, even being owned by one cat - so start sawing

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                          Asher, and Snoop but accidents can still happen even with intelligent cats.

Say two cats are playing with one another and running around the bed like crazy and wrestling with one another and one of them accidentally pokes itself with one of those screws. You don't see that ever happening?
                          Nope
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If I still want to do something tough for peace of mind, are there caps you can buy for exposed screws?

Comment

Why take the chance? Cut the screws off. Hacksaws are cheaper than vet bills.

Good luck with the cats.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X