Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I make fried eggs or soft-boiled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just cook the sauce very slowly while continually stirring. Stop when it starts to thicken.

I added too much lemon juice the first time I made it, so it came out too sour.

It's only worth it to prepare in large batches...clarifying the butter by itself is annoyingly painstaking.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      Those don't actually poach the egg (at least the ones I've seen don't; they steam it).
      Are you thinking of this?

That's what many restaurants use, I think.

But I was referring to these little plastic cups you can get. You just drop the egg in and immerse the whole cup in the water.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Just cook the sauce very slowly while continually stirring. Stop when it starts to thicken.

I added too much lemon juice the first time I made it, so it came out too sour.

It's only worth it to prepare in large batches...clarifying the butter by itself is annoyingly painstaking.
        Yeah, but I have no reason to cook it in large batches, because it's almost always for myself or one other person. And Hollandaise sauce does not keep/reheat well...

As for the heat issue, it's almost impossible to do it right directly over a stove burner. I read about cooking it over a pot of simmering water, so might try that, if I ever decide to bother again.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It's possible to keep and reheat it if you are very careful (freeze immediately and reheat slowly)

And yeah, you can't cook it over open heat, unless you're ****ing awesome.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I can't believe you even tried to do that. How did your scrambled eggs+butter+lemon juice taste?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's possible to keep and reheat it if you are very careful (freeze immediately and reheat slowly)

And yeah, you can't cook it over open heat, unless you're ****ing awesome.
              I am ****ing awesome, just not as a saucier.

I am still voting for deviled eggs, btw. I can eat 5-6 whole eggs in a sitting like that.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I can eat 5-6 whole eggs if they are hard-boiled. Sometimes I eat far more when eggs are the only protien I am getting.

I can only eat a couple if they are omelet's particularly the type you get at IHOP.

Generally when I eat eggs I eat 4 at a time.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I can't believe you even tried to do that. How did your scrambled eggs+butter+lemon juice taste?
                  Don't know, the garbage disposal got it. My eggs florentine ended up as Egg McMuffins with Spinach.

I have done a homemade mayonnaise that was awesome, but that's considerably easier.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

5-6 eggs is supposed to impress me?

I often eat 12 eggs in a sitting.

I just recently did 24 for the first time (hard boiled)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

5-6 eggs is supposed to impress me?

I just recently did 24 for the first time (hard boiled)
                      How painful would death from cholesterol poisoning be, anyway?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Eggs are generally good cholesteral.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I bet I have had 12 at a meal before.

I also am sure I haven't had 24.

JM
                          (When eggs are the only non-meat non-veggie available I will eat a lot.)
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I don't know if there's even such a thing as cholesterol poisoning, I was just thinking of Douglass Adams.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I've heard that a good way to poach eggs is to break them open into a cling-film wrap and boil them in that. Never tried it though.

Comment

Working...
                              X