Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm halfway into a bottle of Capn Morgan and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have admitted several times when I've been wrong in what most people would consider high-stakes arguments. I usually avoid being wrong because

a) I check facts before I post them and

b) I am extraordinarily capable of seeing objections to my arguments before I post them because I have better general analytic ability than (almost?) anybody else here.

At work, where I don't have the last advantage to the extent I do on here I admit error much more often. I wouldn't be a very good research scientist if I didn't.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I'm tired of this thread not talking enough about my personal problems. This girl was perfect and I got freaked out one day and let her sail away as seen in Virgil's Aeneid. Please resurrect my spirits.

Comment

• I'd love to lock you all up in a cave and watch the results
        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

• On average scientists have much better intellectual honesty than the general public. The few who don't tend to be extremely high-status scientists who have such a level of expertise in their subject as to have been proven wrong so rarely that they haven't seen the need for intellectual honesty (or for whom this need has disappeared with time as they have gained expertise). Unfortunately, this is not a problem I have.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Didn't you kill yourself when your particle toy failed to destroy the world like you planned?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
              Therefore, for the most part, admitting error on 'poly requires that you be convinced by the other person's argument (at least with respect to a particular point). It then follows that you have never managed to convince KH that you had a good point about something. I don't find that to be something that speaks poorly of KH.
              That's faulty logic. KH doesn't come here to be convinced of anything. He comes here to recieve what he percieves as admiration from people like you. He craves it. If he ever admitted to being wrong about anything it would destroy his own view of himself and the view that he believes that others have of him.

That's why I posted the criteria for NPD. It's not just about being able to be convinced of opposing arguments. It's about how you behave and treat other people.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• KH comes here to learn from others, which he has. If you listened to others you might learn to be less stupid.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                  That's why I posted the criteria for NPD.
                  And so what even if he does have it? Perhaps some folks are smart enough to earn NPD.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871

And so what even if he does have it? Perhaps some folks are smart enough to earn NPD.
                    You don't have to meet a certain intelligence requirement to have NPD. KH probably isn't the only one here with it. He's probably just the most intelligent person here with it. Some of the people who admire him the most might have it also. People with it tend to have heros, people they put on a pedistal.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I doubt he's anywhere *near* as arrogant as he comes off here. He's playing it up, Kid.

And I think you're wrong about his motivations - while I'm sure he doesn't mind having his ego stroked from time to time, I believe him when he says he's interested in an exchange of ideas. Perhaps because that's the main reason I'm here, so I find it to be a compelling reason.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        On average scientists have much better intellectual honesty than the general public. The few who don't tend to be extremely high-status scientists who have such a level of expertise in their subject as to have been proven wrong so rarely that they haven't seen the need for intellectual honesty (or for whom this need has disappeared with time as they have gained expertise). Unfortunately, this is not a problem I have.

I'm not sure I agree entirely here. Scientists have more 'intellectual honesty' most of the time (probably because being analytical => being a scientist, perhaps, but particularly when it comes to their own work that tends to mysteriously vanish for a lot (not all, certainly, but many of those I've known, and particularly those my GF knows, her being a scientist and all). They suddenly get narrow-minded and feel that their way of thinking about something is clearly right, even when someone else starts showing them that it is wrong ...

Or perhaps that's just the biosciences, dunno.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                          I believe him when he says he's interested in an exchange of ideas. Perhaps because that's the main reason I'm here, so I find it to be a compelling reason
                          To be fair, I'm also here to insult double *****.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• People with it tend to have heros, people they put on a pedistal.
                            KH is my hero. He's holding hands with Asher on top of my pedestal right now.

Comment

• To be fair, I'm also here to insult double *****.
                              I know that. We're all here to have some fun.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                                You don't have to meet a certain intelligence requirement to have NPD. KH probably isn't the only one here with it. He's probably just the most intelligent person here with it.
                                I didn't say you have to reach a certain level to have it, I said you have to reach a certain level to earn or deserve it. Savvy?
                                Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                                X