Bailout is actually more than $700bn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailout is actually more than $700bn

They snuck something into the bailout bill that eliminates taxes for banks merging with other banks that could cost over $100bn. Furthermore it's encouraging mergers instead of lending. This greed is beyond what I imagined. Where the hell to these people get off?

A quiet windfall for U.S. banks

With attention on bailout debate, Treasury made change to tax law

By Amit R. Paley

updated 9:37 p.m. PT, Sun., Nov. 9, 2008
    The financial world was fixated on Capitol Hill as Congress battled over the Bush administration's request for a $700 billion bailout of the banking industry. In the midst of this late-September drama, the Treasury Department issued a five-sentence notice that attracted almost no public attention.

But corporate tax lawyers quickly realized the enormous implications of the document: Administration officials had just given American banks a windfall of as much as $140 billion.

The sweeping change to two decades of tax policy escaped the notice of lawmakers for several days, as they remained consumed with the controversial bailout bill. When they found out, some legislators were furious. Some congressional staff members have privately concluded that the notice was illegal. But they have worried that saying so publicly could unravel several recent bank mergers made possible by the change and send the economy into an even deeper tailspin.

continued on webpage
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Where the hell to these people get off
    All over us, of course.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This is why economist should set fiscal policy and not politicians.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

There had to be the trick somewhere in there...

Comment

they couldn't of just writen "penis" in a random place or "Dick Cheney is a jerk" or something, like normal people?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Remember when they were telling us that we have to pass a bailout quickly? That's how a con works.

Comment

Encouraging bank mergers to save the financial system

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                Encouraging bank mergers to save the financial system
                Killing bankers to save the economy

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  What happens if the politician is an economist, a la Canada?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Double jeopardy?
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Canada

I may have to move there soon for the more favourable tax climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        I'm sure the people responsible for this know a great deal about economics. They're probably PhDs.
                        Last edited by Kidlicious; November 10, 2008, 11:28.

Comment

Tell you what, NGR...you can encourage them with your money, 'k?

I think (and this is just IMO, of course) they get quite enough encouragement as it is, without us having to pay for more.

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I take it the fact that this was done in an underhanded manner is just fine with NGR.

Comment

Tell you what, NGR...you can encourage them with your money, 'k?
                              No one's money is being used to encourage them. The banks are paying less in taxes, not receiving more in taxpayer funds.

I take it the fact that this was done in an underhanded manner is just fine with NGR.
                              I'm not going to get up in arms about cutting taxes as an emergency measure during a financial crisis. There's nothing preventing Congress from reinstating the tax at a later date.

Comment

Working...
                              X