Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bush going to issue pardons on the way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if it's not an actual pardon, would a law repealing this one remove the protection? Here's hoping If the Nuremberg defense didn't work for the Nazis, it sure as hell shouldn't work here.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sorry, but that would only work if Iraq and Aghanistan invaded and conquered the US. If that was the case, there could be a "Nuremberg" war crime court.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

maybe removing the retroactive part of it might fly

And just about every single signatory would drop out.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

what imran said
          Unbelievable!

Comment

I'm talking about the bill Congress passed in October 2006 which gave retroactive immunity to prosecution for breaking the Geneva Convention. Since that's not a pardon and instead and act of Congress then maybe something can be done. Especially since it was illegal when the acts occurred, then declared retroactively legal so maybe just maybe something can be done.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, and maybe we could preemptively prosecute Barack Obama too. It would save us all a lot of time and agony.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                He'll give pardons, like every president does. I doubt he'll give a lot of them, unlike especially Clinton.
                I probably meant contentious pardons and many of those.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Bush is way behind both Clinton and Reagen, who gave out just a little under 400 each in their two terms. Bush is around 125 now. Clinton did have a number of high profile pardons. Thus far, Bush's have been rather pedestrian, a bunch of reletive unknowns compared to the past few presidents. That will most likely change in january, when he releases his final list.
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

You put it so delicately, Swissy. Clinton had a thoroughgoing pardon bazaar going on.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You betcha! *wink*
                      B♭3

Comment

us > accountability

Comment

Re: Is Bush going to issue pardons on the way out?

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          I'm a bit curious about this.
                          It's become a bit of a tradition for the outgoing president to give pardons to a few deserving people. What you wont see, is the wholesale selling of pardons that Clinton did.

I dont think we'll see any pardons that will be contentious to the Dems (ie republican pals) but there may be some that will piss off the rabid right.
                          Last edited by SpencerH; November 9, 2008, 08:01.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                          X