Is America the new South Africa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is America the new South Africa?

Was what happened to South Africa a condensed shorter version of US history?

Both former British colonies.

Both where by a long time ruled by a white minority elite.*

Both eventually elected black predsidents who promised change.

The difference being that the US is a better developed, bigger and has had a longer history of independace.

*the US has little social flexiblity and is far closer to a class society than most European countries, their elite is almost hereditary. While the Whites are not a minority (they will soon be though) the elite has always been a small priviliget portion of the white population.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Well, our violent crime rate against women is slightly lower...
    B♭3

Comment

Eh... in the United States blacks are about 13% of the population. In South Africa whites are about 11% of the population. So, quite a bit different for that reason alone.

And Obama is no Mandela.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

*the US has little social flexiblity and is far closer to a class society than most European countries,
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, that was kinda funny.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah, in the US a minority can be elected president.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Damn you, you Slovenian. You made me agree with Imran.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

And Obama is no Mandela.
                Duh? But I admit the implicit comparison was a bit of a troll for responses. For starters Obama is part of the elite not a former political prisoner.

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                Eh... in the United States blacks are about 13% of the population. In South Africa whites are about 11% of the population. So, quite a bit different for that reason alone.
                Duh again? This was a comparison in its most general sense. Now if I remember right the white proportion of the population was higher in the past.. around 20% in 1911. Like the immigrants who settled the Americas the current black and white population nearly exterminated and completley outbred the native population.

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles
                Well, our violent crime rate against women is slightly lower...
                Again, not a direct comparison. Though don't you guys always whine about how crime is on the rise...

Originally posted by rah

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Yeah, that was kinda funny.
                Originally posted by Oerdin
                Damn you, you Slovenian. You made me agree with Imran.
                In what sense?

IF:
                a) That's not true lol!
                THEN: No, check the data.

IF:
                b) The historical irony!
                THEN: Yes it is.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Rah, Imran:

Well, by most measures economic mobility in the US is significantly lower than economic mobility in most European countries.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                    Yeah, in the US a minority can be elected president.
                    Indeed this is good.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Rah, Imran:

Well, by most measures economic mobility in the US is significantly lower than economic mobility in most European countries.

Comment

That is not the same thing as a lack of "social flexibility" or a "class society".

Though they may be related.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Is America the new South Africa?

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                          *the US has little social flexiblity and is far closer to a class society than most European countries, their elite is almost hereditary. While the Whites are not a minority (they will soon be though) the elite has always been a small priviliget portion of the white population.
                          I really think you misunderstand America. Yes, people born on the top will stay there. Yes, "white" people are a diminishing portion of the population.

The thing you don't understand is that people can still move up. Like say, a child of a single mother becoming President. That's been known to happen.

Also the definition of white is flexible. A hundred years ago, Irish and Italians were not exactly white people. Now they are. It's an ever increasing concept.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

While the Bushes are blue-blood elites (as well as Kerry and Gore), Obama certainly isn't. Nor was Clinton. Nor was Reagan.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              That is not the same thing as a lack of "social flexibility" or a "class society".

Though they may be related.
                              I consider Europe a "weak" class socitey, and I said that America was close to a "true" class society.

Comment

Working...
                              X