Need advice on buying a cheap boat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on buying a cheap boat.

While I would love to buy a real metal or fiberglass boat suitable for going on short trips off shore in the Pacific (a few miles out to go fishing or lobster potting) the reality is I can't justify the $10k - $20k it would take to buy a real boat which would only be used, at best, once a month. I'm therefor looking to buy a cheap boat for use on lakes, in bays or harbors along the Pacific, or for the odd trip to the Colorado river. Are any of you people boaters or know anything about boating?

Ideally I'd like to spend $1000 or less and have a small outboard engine since I'm to lazy to paddle every where. In this price range it seems like inflatables are the only thing on offer though most of them at least look to be of decent quality. I've been mulling around buying a Red Star Marine NAVIGATOR II – 500 Recreational Boat Package with the optional outboard motor mount. This is not a boat for serious boaters but it does seem to be the best on offer in the inflatable category and it is designed to take a small outboard motor.

The cheapest price (for buying new) which I've found is $330 while the most recent issue of the local boat and outboard trader magazine has an add from someone selling a 2005 3.5HP Tohatsu 2 stroke motor which weights just 25 pounds for sale for just $250. I realize that I won't be going any where fast with this get up but would it be "good enough" for weekends on the lake or in the bay? If it was then I could have a 5 person boat (up to 825 lbs) for just ~$600. As an added bonus the boat could be deflated and stored in my garage while the 2 stroke motor is light enough to be easily carried from the car to the water to be mounted on the boat. Am I just being cheap or does this sound like a halfway acceptable set up?

Like I said I'm mainly interested in days out on lakes catching bass, trout, and catfish or trips to the bay to catch sea bass, halibut, and lay a few lobster/crab traps.
    Last edited by Dinner; November 3, 2008, 20:29.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I was considering building a boat using 55 gal drums once. Weld three to a side and build a platform across on which to mount a transom. Might work.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

That's the model of outboard motor I'd be buying used for $250. Is 3.5 HP to gutless to get any where or would it work for the odd fishing trip? I've read that Tohatsu is owned by Nissan so this is essentially a Nissan outboard so I'm hoping the quality of the motor will be pretty good.

Comment

That's a trolling motor basicly. Might be ok for an aluminum rowboat on a still day to putter around but...very slowly. That's fine if its fine but a good stiff breeze might cause you to be continuously blown off course.

Comment

The problem is the inflatable boat is only rated for an outboard up to 3hp so the 3.5hp is already pushing it. They do have a model rated for a 10hp outboard but that one sells for $1100 which is a lot more expensive then the $330 inflatable I was looking at.

So basically it is a putting around motor and that's about it?

Comment

Don't buy an inflatable, they deflate! Then by by $.

Comment

Call Donnie Baker, I hear he has one
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Pacific Ocean > Trolling motor
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I'm not looking for an open water boat just something for bays and/or lakes with the odd trip to the river.

Comment

Best way to buy a boat cheap is the local classified adds.

Comment

Speaking from experience I think you'll want more than a 4hp engine depending on the size of the boat.
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        Best way to buy a boat cheap is the local classified adds.
                        I agree. I bought a 12 foot glassfiber boat with a 4hp four-stroke engine for $1000 last summer
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

What good is a boat? Water is boring.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You could try this boat

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I took Lancer's advice and took a look at the classifieds (who knew that they still existed? I thought Craig's List put them all out of business. ) There were only a few fishing boats listed but there was a 20 year old 17' with twin outboards for just $3500. It seems boats lose value faster then even cars. Of course the question is where the hell would I store it as it's to big for my garage and the H.O.A. gets whiny about stuff like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X