No announcement yet.

Does Socialized Medicine Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuba? We don't discriminate. We'll take them from anywhere.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Our "universal" healthcare doesn't cover eye or dental appointments.

Other than that...and long wait times...and a shortage of general practitioners and nurses...we have a pretty good system.
      "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
        Cuba? We don't discriminate. We'll take them from anywhere.
        You has to pay a premium though, cause people don't like your country.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

I think you misunderstand. We poach doctors from all over the third world (not just Cuba although I'm sure we take some of them too). We offer them a life in a 1st world country and they bring us skills we want. Their countries of origin are the big losers (paying the premium).
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I think you misunderstand. We poach doctors from all over the third world (not just Cuba although I'm sure we take some of them too). We offer them a life in a 1st world country and they bring us skills we want. Their countries of origin are the big losers (paying the premium).

No. You don't understand. If someone doesn't want to do something you can pay them a premium. If that premium is high enough they will do it. That's how you get your doctors from Cuba.

Comment

Why do you continue on about Cuba?

It is cheaper to pay foreign doctors Cdn $$ to practice than it is to train one in Canada. Where is the premium you speak of? Do you think we are offering them millions of $$ just to show up on our shores?

edit - And what's with this idea they don't want to come here? They do.

Comment

Why do you continue on about Cuba?

It is cheaper to pay foreign doctors Cdn $$ to practice than it is to train one in Canada. Where is the premium you speak of? Do you think we are offering them millions of $$ just to show up on our shores?

edit - And what's with this idea they don't want to come here? They do.
                This is economics 101. Adam Smith talked about this in The Wealth of Nations.

You said that Cuba pays a premium to keep it's doctors, clearly demonstrating that you don't know what a premium is. If Cuba paid a premium to keep it's doctors it would be paying their doctors more than what doctors are paid in Canada.

A premium is something that the buyer pays to get something that they wouldn't get otherwise. If I prefer Big Macs to Whoppers then I would only buy a Whopper instead of a Big Mac if Burger King dropped the price of Whoppers enough to convince me.

Comment

This is economics 101. Adam Smith talked about this in The Wealth of Nations.
                  We can talk facts not theory.

You said that Cuba pays a premium to keep it's doctors,

I said no such thing. Cite?

edit - YOU said "premium". I was quoting you and asking what the premium was that YOU spoke of. Nice try to turn this around.

clearly demonstrating that you don't know what a premium is. If Cuba paid a premium to keep it's doctors it would be paying their doctors more than what doctors are paid in Canada.

Again. I didn't say that. Cite please.

A premium is something that the buyer pays to get something that they wouldn't get otherwise. If I prefer Big Macs to Whoppers then I would only buy a Whopper instead of a Big Mac if Burger King dropped the price of Whoppers enough to convince me.
                  You've just provided an entire post of nonsense. You are better than that.

Comment

Their countries of origin are the big losers (paying the premium).

Comment

• Their countries of origin pay for their training whereas we give them citizenship. Where is the cost being borne Kid? What are we paying to get them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                        You've just provided an entire post of nonsense. You are better than that.
                        It's the very basics of consumer choice. What the hell do they teach you in Canada? High school students learn this stuff in the US.

Comment

• You started the "premium" idea...

I will ask one more time - What premium do we pay Kid?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

It's the very basics of consumer choice. What the hell do they teach you in Canada? High school students learn this stuff in the US.
                            Do you want a real discussion of just a **** fest? I've been polite till now...

Comment

Their countries of origin pay for their training whereas we give them citizenship.
                              That''s not a premium. A premium is an additional incentive provided by one of the parties involved in a trade to induce the trade.
                              Where is the cost being borne Kid? What are we paying to get them?
                              Are you denying that doctors are paid more in Canada than they are in Cuba?

Comment

Do you want a real discussion of just a **** fest? I've been polite till now...
                                Don't try to take the high road now. You said my post was nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X