Fully Employed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully Employed

My contract with the company I am at expired today and I was offered to come on board full time.

I will be making $16,000/year less than if I contracted souly with them for a year (which is illegal), however I won't have a $1500/month COBRA bill. They will pay for all my medical and half of the difference for the family plan, so I'm probably looking at about $200-$400/month. So that is sort of a wash.

I will be making $7000/year less than my last job. However, I had a $400/month gas budget (at $2/gallon gas). So that too is a wash.

Cons; pay cut (though my personal budget will break even) and I will have to travel more, not a lot just some.

Pros;

I found a job in this economy

I can take all the vacation I want, with no pay but hey! (they are also easy going, come and go as you like)

I am now only 5 miles from home instead of 50

They are very supportive of school (they won't pay for it, but they don't keep me from it; study at work, leave for class when I have to)

I will have cheaper health coverage

The guys I am working with are very knowledgable and good mentors

I have a private office with a door

Profit Sharing

New Industry, New Experiences

Active development of marketable skills across a wide range of industries; they'll pay for my training

---

They told me that we would revisit my salary in 6 months. If we get the projects we are after I should be worth more to them. However, with things slow as they are right now they are really looking at my pay as a retainer. We have one funded project for next year, right now. And, even I would agree my time for just that project isn't worth more.

The Company: A start-up engineering consulting firm that targets ethanol and biomass facilities (fuel and food grade). We have the 2 founders who are ex-VPs from a large engineering consulting firm who had bad mojo with that companies new owner, a "retired" VP of engineering from another large engineering consulting company in the area who just works a couple of days a week but is a very good teacher (the PhD in ChemE helps), and a Engineering Manager from a large ethanol producer and an old employee of the founders, a secretary, and me.

So, 4.5 people (the old doc is the .5). I guess I can't expect to make biotech money here, especially since I'm in a new industry. I will be learning to design facilities, perform proof of concept work for VCs, and working on expert witness documents... all stuff I've never done and very marketable. Not to mention the people I am working are influential in the engineering consulting world. An MBA with this type of background will be gold, I hope.

Summary: I got a new job! Yeah!
    Monkey!!!

Congrats sir
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Congrats!
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well done mate
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Good joooeeeerb!!
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Congrats!
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Good going Japher
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Sweet! Sounds good, Japher

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Congrats. Take it and feel fortunate.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Congrats, and nice perks. The nicest being probably the lack of commute, imo. Especially when it starts snowing.
                    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Congrats!
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats, Japher!!!
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                              Good joooeeeerb!!
                              QFT.
                              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                              X