Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Treasuries 40x riskier than last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well. Define "asset".
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

All tangible and intangible property of positive value that you hold.

Comment

cds CAN become a liability. You're committed to pay xyz periodically to the seller, and if somehow the credit risk of the underlying disappears (or improves dramatically) you're just paying for nothing essentially.
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

It's still an asset. You can sell the asset and "cover", locking in your profit/loss. (And yes, people lose money by buying assets high, and selling low, all the time.)

Comment

In the case where future cash flows are negative you should count them as a liability I think.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
              It's still an asset. You can sell the asset and "cover", locking in your profit/loss. (And yes, people lose money by buying assets high, and selling low, all the time.)
              They would probably be worthless though wouldn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

a CDS is not an asset, it's a derivative contract that increases in value (if you're the one hedging credit risk) as default risk rises, and decreases as default risk falls. You can lose money buying CDS...
                It is an asset which can rise in value or fall in value. Just like most derivatives. Don't be ridiculous.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's like saying that a futures contract is an "asset". It can be worth less than 0, of course. It costs nothing to enter into (other than margin requirements) but can decrease below 0 in value.

This is Finance 101.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

It is an asset which can rise in value or fall in value. Just like most derivatives. Don't be ridiculous.
                    You have a weird understanding of what is an asset (and what is NOT).

Would you call an interest rate swap an asset? Would an FRA qualify? or an FX forward?

Comment

You have a weird understanding of what is an asset (and what is NOT).

Would you call an interest rate swap an asset? Would an FRA qualify? or an FX forward?
                      Yes, yes, yes.

I understand that you're saying they can be either "assets" or "liabilities", but the catch-all term is "asset" (yes, English sucks).
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

well, in my view the catch-all term is "derivatives". A swap is in fact a combination of an asset (a counterparty's obligation (contingent or fixed) to pay) and a liability (your obligation to pay), so in my view it's misleading to call an "asset" something that can become a "liability".

Comment

I simply meant to demonstrate that it has a present value associated with it (assuming the existence of a market for the derivative in question, of course). The catch-all term for these things is "asset".
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Derivatives do not stay worthless and then gain a value when there is a cash flow associated with them. They can be bought and sold. They go up and down in value as the underlyings change in value (or change otherwise).

Derivatives can therefore be hedges, even if they never actually result in a cash flow.

By the way, I'm done with arguing about definitions. I note that the "derivatives are assets" mantra is fairly common in the finance classes I've taken. It drives home the point that they always have a value associated with them.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

well, in my view the catch-all term is "derivatives". A swap is in fact a combination of an asset (a counterparty's obligation (contingent or fixed) to pay) and a liability (your obligation to pay), so in my view it's misleading to call an "asset" something that can become a "liability".
                              That's why they are off balance sheet items.

But for the original issue KH is correct. Read the OP article. It talks about it in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X