Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Treasuries 40x riskier than last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aeson
    I personally would be writing as much CDS on US Treasuries as I possibly could if only I could fool people into thinking I could possible back it
    That's true. Stocks are sooooo last year. Let's write derivatives.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
      Also, the article says the price is driven by speculation that the credit rating of the US Treasuries will deteriorate, not because investors actually believe the US will default.
      Given that the US Treas. CDS are 40 bp, it's pretty obvious that most people don't actually "believe" that the US will default.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Given that the US Treas. CDS are 40 bp, it's pretty obvious that most people don't actually "believe" that the US will default.
        So the higher the bp the higher the risk of default of the debt that it's tied to, right? Is that how they all work?

Comment

Of course. Add in some model of risk aversion and you can pull out the probability of default being predicted.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If there was no counterparty risk in CDS then the "risk neutral probability" of default over the next year would be ~40/10000 (there are some issues with the fact that the premium is paid going forward, that payments cease after a default event and that the bonds may not be totally worthless after a partial default event).
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              Is that where the bailout money is going?
              oh... and dividends too...

Comment

And the Eurocoms are forcing the companies that recieve their bailouts to suspend dividends. This country is ****ed.

Comment

What do, CDS? They hedge against price falls of bonds due to default risk factors.
                  No, they don't. CDS protects against actual default, not against price movements due to the possibility of default rising. What you said is price falls due to ratings changes or severe operational setback (AND resulting ratings changes).
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

should have read whole thread... :S
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Nah. I read the whole thread and it didn't do me a bit of good.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

No, they don't. CDS protects against actual default, not against price movements due to the possibility of default rising.
                        You have no clue what you're talking about. A CDS is an asset. It appreciates in value when the underlying bond decreases in value due to an increase in risk. It is therefore a hedge against bond price movements due to default risk factors.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          Nah. I read the whole thread and it didn't do me a bit of good.
                          I'm with ya, Lance.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

I'm with ya, Lance.

-Arrian
                            The bragging rights of that admittion are often very limited indeed.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

You have no clue what you're talking about. A CDS is an asset. It appreciates in value when the underlying bond decreases in value due to an increase in risk. It is therefore a hedge against bond price movements due to default risk factors.
                              a CDS is not an asset, it's a derivative contract that increases in value (if you're the one hedging credit risk) as default risk rises, and decreases as default risk falls. You can lose money buying CDS... That is due to the fact that the contract states you will get a full payout in case there is an event of default.

But you're correct in the last sentence.

Comment

... CDS you buy/hold are assets, CDS you sell/write are liabilities

Comment

Working...
                                X