You must construct additional pylons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok
    An Archon costs three hundred resources too, but mostly gas, which is harder to get in bulk.
    Heh, that's the reason I like Archons: I usually have an excess of gas, and a shortage of minerals.
    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
      How do you handle Archons as a Zerg player? Assuming they're well inland and thus Guardian-proof, do you need massive numerical superiority just to wear them down?
      No cliffs for guards to hover over?

Pure hydras on favorable terrain, an ultralisk or 2 + other ground units, throw darkswarm around(will eliminate the direct damage, but not the splash damage). Obviously be careful so that the archons can't get under the swarm if you are using hydras.

Comment

How many years old is this game? And people are still playing!
        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
        George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by axi
          How many years old is this game? And people are still playing!
          Sign of a good game.

Also, patched and registered at Battle.net, if anyone who wants to play is out there. (Go easy on me. Can you do co-op vs. AI?)
          You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle

I shall have to download it then. Any major changes that you know right of hand from the patch?
            I hadn't noticed any but then I haven't played in years.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
              Having 12 queens out is always fun .
              Happens all the time in Brighton
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Zerg baby.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Always Random, though I think my Zerg game when it really goes guerrilla (small minimal defense bases combined with lighting raids against opponents startups) can be devastating and pleasantly unconventional as I win economically rather then in a single decisive battle. I've been known to win this way after losing my main base.

Like Maniac I'm not 'fast' with the mouse or keyboard but make an excellent strategist.

Defending against Archons I'd use Lurkers with other ground fodder units (lings, hydra, ultra) thrown into a choke area ware they will make the archons stop and engage within the range of the lurkers. If their are Observers in the area the ground fodder keeps the heat off the Lurker and if their aren't it keeps them bunched together and prevents them from leaving the kill zone if their aren't other obvious targets like sunken colonies in the area.

Offensively their harder to deal with. If their acting as front door coke point defense its best to avoid them and go for a aerial or drop attack against the opponents economy.
                  Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                    A bunch of upgraded Zerglings do the trick too IIRC. Just make sure you attack from two sides at once, so you get an immediate surround, and minimize your losses.
                    spash dmg will eat zerglings up.

I meant "Guardian-proof" in the sense that the Guardians can just hover out of Archon range in impassible terrain bombarding the hell out of said Archons; without air support the bug-zapper has no choice but to run away and hope to lure the sluggish Guardian onto terrain where it can be attacked by its more nimble enemy.

Under any other circumstances there's really no cheap way for the Zerg to take out an Archon the way Science Vessels can, or Scourge can take out Carriers, or Zerglings can take out most large land units. They can't be broodlinged and laugh at the Plague. I'm a pretty bad player but I always spam Archons when I'm playing versus the Zerg because they're damned near helpless against them. At least when controlled by the AI they are.

I guess I can imagine a Zergling swarm doing it, but a fully upgraded Archon can take out several fully-upgraded lings with one hit...it's hard to picture even a pincer attack doing more damage than is lost in dead lings. Fifty minerals a pair means three hundred a dozen, and it'd take more than that. An Archon costs three hundred resources too, but mostly gas, which is harder to get in bulk.

ur right in that there really isnt real counter strat, but you can always go tech for tech. Tank the dmg with higher tier units should help with splash dmg.

and archons take dmg like a ***** as well since they are all made of shields. Shields dont mitigate dmg type so you can just work it with any unit.
                    Last edited by Zero; November 2, 2008, 21:23.
                    :-p

Comment

Yeah, but don't most Zerg units do normal-type damage anyway? Oh, and I was wrong, Archons cost 400 resources. I was thinking they only needed 200 gas.

Actually, come to think of it there's an excellent Zerg counter to Archons...it's just not easy to get, and not available in all games. Now if only the Zerg could somehow build command centers, it'd be a cakewalk. 'Course, so would the rest of the game.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I just made a campaign editor scenario, putting twelve fully upgraded zerglings against one fully upgraded archon. Did seven tests. Results differ because of how quickly I got a complete surround. Test results were: Zerglings remaining: 3, 5, 5, 5, 7, 8, 8.
                        Looks like my memory isn't wrong, and zerglings can work as a counter. You gotta love that Hive tech which reduces Zergling cooldown.
                        Last edited by Maniac; November 3, 2008, 13:54.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

One of my strategies is to rush for that tech. It normally does pretty well.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Zergling cooldown?
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Their rate of attack can be boosted considerably.

I favored the mutalisks.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I present to you a 3 player FFA I was in a while back. This right here is why BGH is not a good map. rename to .rep
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X